The Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity (PRE) is intended to increase the amount and effectiveness of resources aimed at combating institutional and structural racism in communities. PRE’s work focuses on capacity building, education, and convening of grant makers and grant seekers. Launched in 2003 with a board of racial justice movement leaders, PRE was the philanthropic-focused project explicitly tackling structural racism as it's mission and has worked with hundreds of foundations across the country, providing assessments, training, conducting research, producing publications and playing a leadership role in the movement to strengthen philanthropy's impact on racial justice. For additional information about PRE: www.racialequity.org.
PRE is a DC-area based project of the Tides Center. With a 30-year history in progressive social change work, CA-based Tides Center is the nonprofit sector’s leading sponsor of social innovation, providing back-office services, a legal framework, and capacity-building support for projects that share our vision of a just, healthy, and sustainable world.
The Operations Manager will play a significant role managing efficient operations for the Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity (PRE), including managing the Executive Director’s daily operations by serving as executive assistant. Additionally, this role will provide administrative support for programmatic efforts. The job offers an opportunity to play a role in advancing issues of racial and social justice, primarily through work with the philanthropic sector. The role provides exposure to a broad range of racial and social justice advocates, academics and practitioners, and a wide variety of foundation leaders. The position will report to the Executive Director of PRE.
- Manage the Executive Director’s calendar and schedule, in conjunction with appropriate staff and external participants
- Serve as the primary contact for all internal/external request for the Executive Director
- Handle all travel planning, arrangements and logistics for the Executive Director (and other senior staff as needed): develop written, detailed schedules, confirm travel plans and appointments, book and manage all related transportation and lodging including expenses
- Draft and file meeting notes and agendas, follow up correspondence and minutes, and ensure communication thereof with all relevant parties
- Attend and provide appropriate support as needed for meetings, conferences and events
- Conduct research on meeting topics and compile background information on meeting participants
- Provide final proofs for important correspondence, reports, and proposals
- Conduct periodic scans and internet searches to collect information, research, and resources referencing topics pertinent to the fields of philanthropy and racial justice
- Manage information flow to and from the Executive Director, ensuring follow up with and engagement of appropriate staff
- Ensure proper coordination of briefings, meetings, and other events, to ensure they run smooth and start on time
- Serve as primary recorder at convenings and proceedings, assist in compiling and distributing notes, and prepare contributions for follow-up publications
- Act as primary program contact for distributing appropriate online and offline training materials, newsletters, and publications
- Support content updates on PRE’s Web site, www.racialequity.org
- Administer online surveys and compile survey data
- Oversee overall office systems and functions
- Maintain PRE’s electronic files, update contact database, and perform light bookkeeping
- Liaise with outside vendors to order supplies, products, and services and maintain those relationships to ensure smooth operating of office systems
- Troubleshoot office systems when problems arise
- Process contracts and scope-of-work documents for consultants engaged in contract work
- Provide administrative support as necessary for PRE project consultants, as approved by Executive Director
- Liaise with Tides Center to manage PRE’s compliance with fiscal sponsorship agreement and Tides Center services
You would be an excellent fit for this position if you have:
- 5+ years of experience as an executive assistant/secretary or project coordinator
- Significant experience working with racial or social justice organizations, community-based organizations, non-profits, or foundations
- A commitment to PRE’s mission and to racial equity
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to plan, coordinate, and manage multiple tasks, deadlines, and workload
- Demonstrated attention to detail, commitment to quality, and fidelity to service
- Demonstrated writing skills and good verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a desire and ability to work with diverse groups of people and the ability to make a strong first impression for PRE
- The ability to stay positive, maintain a level of high personal energy, and adapt to changing priorities
- Some basic bookkeeping skills and knowledge of Quickbooks
- Familiarity with and ability to learn Salesforce and NetSuite
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel, Access)
- A home base within close vicinity (e.g., 20 miles) of major airport and be able to travel 4-6 times a year
- A degree, advanced study, and/or qualified experience in management, or related field
Salary range at full-time is $50,000-$65,000 annually. Salary is commensurate with experience and geographical base. This position is currently a grant-funded full-time position for two years, with the possibility for expansion/extension.
Benefits include: health, dental, vision, retirement, and generous vacation time.
*LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
*MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
Details: Full-time exempt
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested, please email [email protected]: a cover letter addressed to Lori Villarosa, your resume, and 3 samples of your writing. Please include “Operations Manager” in the subject line of your email. Due to limited capacity, we are taking no phone calls. The position is open until filled, but first consideration will be given to applications received by July 26, 2018.
Equal Employment Opportunity: PRE welcomes and strongly encourages people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ-identified candidates to apply. PRE will provide, excepting any undue hardship, reasonable accommodations upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process