Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latino communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 600 organizations and leaders.
The Operations Associate, based in HIP’s Oakland office, will be responsible for supporting the office’s operations and organizational needs, developing and supporting systems for effective organizational operations, managing assigned administrative tasks, and supporting planning of local and regional events. The Operations Associate will work closely with all staff including programs, finance, development, communications, and membership teams based in the US and Mexico.
(40% est. allocated time)
- Support Programs team with operations and administrative tasks, including but not limited to expense reports, receipt processing, and budget tracking; emails and other correspondence; scheduling and meeting planning; and other requested tasks
- Process incoming mail, welcome visitors and guests, answer phones, and provide general oversight and care of shared work spaces.
- Manage HIP’s technology needs, working with the IT consultant, managing the technology budget, and placing requests for hardware and software needs
- Administer HIP’s software platforms, such as G-Suites, Asana, Slack, Zoom, Mailchimp, MS Office, Adobe, Salesforce.
- Support staff with software administration, particularly in response to events, webinars, and outreach to partners
- Support human resources activities, including posting job announcements, coordinating interviews, or other HR related matters
- Innovate and suggest new and better ways of organizing workflow to improve efficiency
(40% est. allocated time)
- Take proactive steps to oversee the Oakland office, keep supplies well-stocked on a regular basis, and ensure office needs are addressed, including watering plants, coordinating furniture and technology needs, managing keys and access to office for staff, and other office-related requests as approved by supervisor
- Identify and create systems for organizing and maintaining a clean and tidy office, in consultation with supervisor
- Coordinate with building manager in responding to office needs and needs of one subtenant
- Support set up / clean up of meetings (online and in office)
- Organize organization-wide birthday and anniversary announcements, gifts, and local celebrations
Local and Regional Event Planning
(15% est. allocated time)
- Assist in tracking and following up with event sponsors to gather key information and process payment
- Support management and track event budgets, timelines, and targets for local and regional events
- Work with vendors, scout locations, and coordinate logistics related to events and event planning.
(5% est. allocated time)
- Crosstrain with Grant Writer and Program Coordinator to support all administrative job functions and provide additional or back up support for those roles when needed
- Support Development, Membership, and Finance Teams on specific tasks including but not limited to tracking and filing donor and member records and payments in Salesforce and Google Drive, preparing vendor check requests for approval, and coordinating appropriate documentation
- Ad-hoc projects and all other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- 3+ years of experience in operations and office management
- Success managing multiple projects at the same time
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Self-starter with high professional and ethical standards
- Ability to manage high-pressure situations and respond to the unexpected
- Accuracy and clarity in all writing, research, and editing tasks
- Excellent internal communication skills to keep busy team members and supervisor apprised of project status and challenges as they arise
- Familiarity with Mac and PC environments; “accidental techie” preferred and/or resourcefulness to find solutions to tech problems as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Experience and high comfort level in multicultural or international environments (including the Americas)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This position requires 5+ hours per day sitting, meeting, computer keying. Most work is completed in an office setting, and ability to travel to meetings, trainings, networking events is required.
Hispanics in Philanthropy offers a range of benefits for full time employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, commuter check benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time.
Hispanics in Philanthropy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Please email the following materials to [email protected]. Include your name and the title for this position (“Your name – Operations Associate”) in the subject line of your email.
- Thoughtful cover letter explaining why you’re the right fit for this role and organization, including your available start date
- 3 supervisor references available upon request during the application process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with applications encouraged by July 8. Please note that due to a high volume of applicants, HIP will only contact candidates selected for an interview. Candidates whose applications do not complete the aforementioned requirements will not be considered.