Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latino communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 600 organizations and leaders.
The Operations Associate, based in HIP’s Oakland office, will be responsible for supporting the office’s operations and organizational needs, developing and supporting systems for effective organizational operations, managing assigned administrative tasks, and supporting planning of local and regional events. The Operations Associate will work closely with all staff including programs, finance, development, HIPGive, and membership teams.
OPERATIONS & ADMINISTRATION
(45% est. allocated time)
- Support supervisor with operations and administrative tasks, including but not limited to expense reports and receipt processing, emails, scheduling, and other requested tasks
- Support HIP’s technology needs, working with the IT consultant, managing the technology budget, and placing requests for hardware and software needs, as well as using and supporting staff with MailChimp, Canva, Asana, Slack, Zoom, and website and Salesforce administration, particularly in response to events, webinars, and outreach to partners
- Support human resources activities as needed, including posting job adverts and coordinating with staff on the administrative aspects of the hiring process
- Suggest new and better ways of organizing office workflow to improve efficiency
- Support Leadership and Learning staff with event and meeting planning, technology needs, and organization of program information
(20% est. allocated time)
- Identify and create systems for organizing and maintaining a clean and tidy office, in consultation with supervisor
- Coordinate with building manager in responding to office needs and needs of one subtenant
- Take proactive steps to organize the Oakland office, keep supplies well-stocked on a regular basis, and ensure office needs are taken care of, including watering plants, coordinating furniture and technology needs, managing keys and access to office for staff, and other office-related requests as approved by supervisor
- Support set up / clean up of meetings (online and in office)
- Organize organization-wide birthday and anniversary announcements, gifts, and local celebrations
FINANCE AND FUNDRAISING SUPPORT
(20% est. allocated time)
- Support programmatic fundraising by conducting regular research to identify new funding opportunities and background of potential HIP partners to prepare team members for meetings, in coordination with HIP’s Director of Development and Director of Programs and Strategy
- Support Development, Membership, and Finance Teams on specific tasks including but not limited to ensuring that donor and member records are tracked and filed accurately in Salesforce and Google Drive
- Support Membership Director with tasks as needed to coordinate and organize membership response, including tracking membership lists, researching new potential members, sending and updating member lists in Salesforce, and related tasks
- Coordinate payment recording and tracking for incoming grants, memberships, and donations
- Ensure that donors are thanked and acknowledged promptly upon receiving grant payments or donations
- Crosstrain with grant writer and program associate to support all administrative job functions and provide additional or back up support for those roles when needed
LOCAL AND REGIONAL EVENT PLANNING
(15% est. allocated time)
- Assist in creation of event invitations, fliers, and emails, and track registration and participation of participants
- Assist in tracking and following up with event sponsors to gather key information and process payment
- Spearhead all logistics efforts for local and regional events, including speaker outreach, program content, marketing, registration, refreshments, interactions with venue, day-of coordination, and follow up
- Manage and track event budgets, timelines, and targets for local and regional events
Qualifications and Skills:
- 3+ years of experience in office management, systems operations assistance, event coordination, and/or development
- Project coordination experience, with success managing multiple projects at the same time
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Self-starter with high professional and ethical standards
- Ability to manage high-pressure situations and respond to the unexpected
- Accuracy and clarity in all writing, research, and editing tasks
- Excellent communication skills to keep busy team members and supervisor apprised of project status and challenges as they arise
- Familiarity with Google Suite and Salesforce preferred
- Prior grant writing experience a plus
- Prior experience soliciting corporate and foundation sponsorships a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred, but not essential
- Experience and high comfort level in multicultural or international environments (including the Americas) a plus
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position requires 5+ hours per day sitting, meeting, computer keying. Most work is completed in an office setting, and ability to travel to meetings, trainings, networking events is required.
Hispanics in Philanthropy offers a range of benefits for full time employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, commuter check benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time.
Hispanics in Philanthropy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and the title for this position (“Your name – Operations Associate”) in the subject line of your email.
- Thoughtful cover letter explaining why you’re the right fit for this role and organization, including your available start date
- 1 short writing sample that showcases your ability to write clear, concise, and compelling content with a high level of analysis and creativity for different audiences
- 3 supervisor references available upon request during the application process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with applications encouraged by Thursday, February 28. Please note that due to a high volume of applicants, HIP will only contact candidates selected for an interview. Candidates whose applications do not complete the aforementioned requirements will not be considered.