Organization Overview: Exponent Philanthropy is a member-led community of lean funders—those who make grants with few or no staff—where foundation leaders and individuals turn to gain insight, share practices, and seek support in making decisions. Exponent Philanthropy connects them with answers, experts, and peers to create a community of fulfilled and, ultimately, more effective philanthropists. Our vibrant network represents all 50 states and a few international members that embrace a style of philanthropy motivated by personal passion, community need, and a strong desire for better outcomes.
In our team, we look for highly collegial, ethical, bright, and customer service-oriented individuals who have a commitment to quality work. Staff members are passionate about our mission and core values. They are driven by an entrepreneurial spirit and have a strong outcomes orientation. Our members come from all walks of life and so do we. We’re proud to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm, you will find a home at Exponent Philanthropy.
Position Overview: This position is responsible for assisting and supporting the Director of Finance and Operations to provide a warm, welcoming, efficient, and productive environment for colleagues and visitors to do their work. The successful Operations Associate will be adept at working in a professional environment, be personable and service-oriented, have excellent verbal, interpersonal and computer skills, have a keen attention to detail, and be able to juggle multiple priorities.
- Provide administrative support for accounts receivable and accounts payable, including donations, membership dues, grants, and renewal mailings
- Coordinate with membership, development, and operations teams to ensure smooth interfacing and accurate reporting of financial transactions
- Rectify data across multiple systems (QuickBooks, Salesforce, budget, etc.)
- Assist with organizational and departmental budget processes by providing relevant data and reports to staff and senior management
- Develop a basic understanding of the operations of the organization as well as the general duties of each department/team in order to appropriately route inquiries
- Assist and act as a backup building/facilities manager for Exponent Philanthropy and its tenants, including liaising with the property management company and working with service vendors to ensure proper functioning of telecommunication/security/emergency systems
- Serve as frontline support for incoming calls and guests
- Assist with virtual and in-person board and staff meeting preparation and logistics
- Serve as events coordinator for on-site conference spaces
- Partner with other administrative staff for cross-departmental projects and office support, including but not limited to, providing back-up phone support, routing of mail, interacting with members, maintaining office supplies and equipment, and supporting inter-office moves and new employee set-up
- Other administrative duties as needed
Exponent Philanthropy seeks to not only acquire top talent, but continuously develop and retain top talent. The ideal incumbent will possess proven experience, be committed to continuous learning, and motivated to take on challenges. The qualifications below have been identified to improve the likelihood of employee success, engagement, and satisfaction.
- An associate’s degree, preferred
- 2-3 years of experience in administrative/finance/operations capacity, or
- an equivalent combination of education and experience
Additional criteria include:
- Strong computer skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office programs; experience with Asana, Salesforce and QuickBooks is desired
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle different projects and priorities while coordinating workflow in a deadline-driven and service-focused environment
- Motivation to deepen knowledge and skills in finance, budgeting, and data management
- Ability to lift 30+ lbs
- Must be able to alternate between a stationary position 50% of time and mobile activity 50% of the time
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc.
- Must be able to perform off-site tasks up to a distance of one (1) mile daily
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $45K - $55K, commensurate with experience. In addition, Exponent Philanthropy offers a competitive suite of benefits, including fully covered health insurance for the first year, and a subsequent benefits package equal to 21% of salary to cover your choice of health, dental, vision, disability, and/or life insurance, and 401(k) retirement contributions. Our total benefits offering is designed to support employee wellness while also providing the flexibility to customize your package.
To Apply For Position:
Interested parties should email cover letter, resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Operations Associate” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Although we value initiative, we cannot field phone calls regarding the position.
Exponent Philanthropy is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, gender or age (except where gender or age is a bona-fide occupational qualification, as defined by law), genetic information, or physical or mental disability (except where the disability prevents the individual from being able to perform the essential functions of the job and cannot be reasonably accommodated in full compliance with the law).