Santa Monica & Downtown LA, CA
The position of Operations Associate at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to an individual who wishes to gain practical experience in the nonprofit sector or philanthropy as part of a platform for a career in public service and social change. The job will provide the candidate a intensive practice of nonprofit management – from clerical and bookkeeping functions, to contracting, office and website management, investment coordination and occasional events support – as well as bird’s-eye view of the social change sector in Los Angeles, with exposure to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of leaders.
The Durfee Foundation is a private family foundation that supports individuals and organizations in Los Angeles County, with a special emphasis on community development and nonprofit leadership. The Foundation has assets of approximately $30 million, and makes more than $2 million in grants annually.
The position of Operations Associate reports to the Executive Director, and works day-to-day with the Program Manager. The ideal candidate for this job should be technologically proficient, detail-oriented, self-motivated and collaborative. The position is part-time, four days/32 hours per week, allowing the candidate to pursue other career development activities on the off-day. The job comes with excellent benefits.
The Durfee Foundation maintains a small office. We value collegiality, cooperation and flexibility. The Foundation is currently located in Santa Monica, but will move to downtown Los Angeles in December 2018.
- Bookkeeping, including monitoring account balances, cash-flow projection, and accounts payable, under supervision of accountant
- Under direction from an independently contracted CPA, prepare documents for financial audits
- Implement occasional stock sales, and manage relationships with investment advisors
- Reconcile monthly financial statements
- Manage contract agreements
- Reimbursement processing
- Office management/general administrative support, including records management and storage
- Maintain computer systems, including email, network, website, database and back-up systems
- Take minutes at board, committee and grantee meetings and retreats
- Occasional back-up for events production as needed, in collaboration with Program Manager
- Expert in QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong knowledge of Mac OSX, Dropbox, Google Drive and WordPress
- Proficient with budgets and financial management processes
- Good written and oral communications
- High-level administrative capacity
- Database management
- Attention to detail, initiative and follow-through
- Capacity to prioritize work and manage multiple projects
- Exercise initiative and good judgment
- College or advanced degree and/or comparable work experience
- General knowledge of/interest in the nonprofit sector
- Graphic design skills a plus
Salary & Benefits:
- $28,000 - $37,000 depending on experience (based on 3-4 days/week; pro-rated against $42,500 - $46,250 FTE)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403b retirement fund, with employee match after one year
- Two weeks vacation
Application Due: September 24, 2018
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
What are your professional goals, and why?
What do you love about Los Angeles?
Start Date: September/October, 2018
Please, no phone calls.