Nonprofit Project Accountant, Managed Organizations (Washington, DC and San Francisco)
Arabella Advisors seeks a socially engaged accounting professional to help launch and manage innovative social sector projects in direct collaboration with our clients. Accounting expertise is just as important as communication skills in this role. In addition to having a firm grasp on financial reporting, you’ll also need to work closely with our clients, breaking down and translating financial information into easily understood language. This role sits on the Managed Organizations team, and will also serve as a bridge between the finance team members and programmatic staff. If you want the opportunity to help build and lead one of the country’s fastest-growing public charities, then this job is for you.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest- growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including a 501(c)(3) named the New Venture Fund and a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
Candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview.
- Provide nonprofit financial expertise and analysis to internal business teams and clients, including reviewing and analyzing program revenue and expenses and preparing forecasts
- Prepare, review and advise on financial deliverables for clients and projects; Develop financial reporting strategies to meet client and project needs
- Communicate financial information with clients in a polished, professional manner
- Review and help prepare financial component of proposals and reports to funders
- Manage government grant compliance responsibilities
- Conduct trainings to internal staff and projects on processes and best practices in nonprofit financial management
- Support the preparation of the 990 and audits as needed
- Design and implement new finance processes, including identifying opportunities for efficiency and streamlining whenever possible
Essential Knowledge Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required in accounting, finance, or related field
- At least three years of financial management experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Knowledge of finance and accounting best practices, procedures and administrative practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to write clear and concise correspondence to clients
- Ability to simplify and explain complex financial concepts
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Proficiency with Excel
Other Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience managing private foundation and government grants
- Financial management experience with fiscal sponsors
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- Exposure to Salesforce and Great Plains preferred
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we provide a competitive package that includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Please use these links to apply based on the location where you hope to work:
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address why you want to work at Arabella and why this is your dream job. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
This position is planned to start in mid-April or mid-May of 2016. Please consider these potential start dates when submitting your application.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with