GMA Foundations, www.gmafoundations.com, provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations and other donors. Our clients are foundations and donors that support a wide range of causes locally, nationally, and internationally.
We are seeking a full-time non-profit accountant who will provide a variety of accounting services for private foundation clients, reconcile investment reports, create financial reports, and serve as a resource during the auditing process.
We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction.
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Accountant will be supervised by GMA’s Chief Financial Officer, while working with several client teams and with GMA’s operations staff. Responsibilities include:
- Handle all client bookkeeping duties as specified in Client Scope of Services, which includes accounting on QuickBooks system, check cutting, processing wires, and bank reconciliations
- Reconcile investment activity and post activity to general ledger
- Generate financial reports for board meetings; present reports, as needed
- Prepare annual foundation operating budgets and budget to actual reports
- Manage quarterly estimated tax payments
- Monitor annual payout and excise tax requirements
- Manage annual audit or review process with external auditors
- Prepare audit reports and schedules
- Oversee preparation of annual tax returns and review drafts of tax returns, following up with accountants as needed to ensure accuracy
- Assist clients in implementing and maintaining internal controls
- Serve as liaison with accountant, banks and investment firms
- Assist in onboarding process for new clients
- Manage filing of annual 1099s for independent contractors
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Combination of work experience and certification totaling either: 5 years of experience in a bookkeeping or accounting position and a BA degree in accounting or finance, or a Certificate of accounting if BA is in an unrelated field; or 9 years of experience in a bookkeeping or accounting position and a BA degree in any field
- Non-profit accounting experience is preferred
- High level of proficiency in QuickBooks Pro and MS Office (particularly Excel)
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage deadlines, maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to draft business correspondence and write reports
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage client relationships
- Ability to work both as part of a team effort and independently
- Dedication to GMA’s practice of encouraging diversity, equity, leadership, and inclusiveness
Our work week is M – F, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Our schedule may include early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate. The position requires long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, and includes some light lifting of supplies and materials.
GMA is an employee friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holiday and sick days; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; and a 401k plan with employer match.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Leah Even Chorev at [email protected]. Resumes will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. Submission of application materials by March 20 is encouraged. Please include “Application for Nonprofit Accountant” in the subject line of your email.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.