Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position Title: Membership Program Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Location: MOHAI Resource Center at Georgetown
Job Status / Hours: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Benefits include: Medical and dental insurance and eligible for participation in 403 (b) savings plan
The Membership Program Manager is responsible for the acquisition, stewardship and retention of MOHAI members, and for engaging members in ways that ultimately lead to securing and expanding the membership base. This position will successfully accomplish membership goals through working creatively and strategically with MOHAI leadership and staff, especially Visitor Services, Development, Public Programs and Education.
- Oversee membership campaigns including new member acquisition, monthly renewal and lapsed renewal mailings, online membership processing, community outreach campaigns, and prospecting and cultivation mailings. Create and implement strategies to increase membership and retention.
- Develop, write and manage membership appeals. Interact with the designer, printer and mail house, collaborating with Marketing and Communications on design, content and branding issues for all print pieces related to appeals, donor stewardship and membership print pieces.
- Provide exceptional customer service to museum members and potential members. Handle member inquiries by phone, mail and email.
- Obtain prospect lists via trades with other organizations or purchased/rented lists. Update and add information on donors and prospects into the museum’s Altru database on a daily basis.
- Ensure that all membership gifts are accurately acknowledged and benefits fulfilled including membership cards, premiums and newsletters in a timely manner.
- Prepare all acknowledgement letters to members and mailing of membership packets. Maintain member/donor files as needed.
- Evaluate existing membership premiums for appeal to members and cost to organization. Oversee the creation and administration of member premiums and benefits. Conceptualize innovative ways of recognizing and engaging members.
- Manage membership content on the MOHAI website and download new memberships via website on a regular basis.
- Manage member acquisition with partnering organizations.
- With Data Manager & Analyst, analyze membership & donor data, and maintain accurate and up-to-date reports, records, filing, and information management.
- With Annual Fund Manager and Development staff, create and execute strategies to encourage members to become donors.
- With Development Coordinator, ensure all membership gifts are entered into database accurately and in a timely manner.
- Continue to develop and manage the Corporate Membership Program, fulfilling all benefits, issuing cards, ensuring that proper credit is given in print materials and in the museum.
- Solicit local corporations by mail, email, phone and in-person contact.
- Maintain print stock inventory for membership print pieces.
- Supervise interns, temporary workers, and volunteers as needed, including training on donor software.
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Visitor Services to implement membership cultivation and retention programs, including administering visitor surveys, admission membership sales, incentive programs, and special offers.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of successful membership development experience in a non-profit setting, preferably a museum.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills. Comfortable juggling multiple tasks/deadlines simultaneously.
- Self-motivator with good judgment and strong focus on details who thinks strategically.
- Able to work successfully both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proficiency with fundraising databases such as Altru, plus Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds is necessary.
- Willingness and ability to travel between museum locations occasionally as required.
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge about MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
For more than 60 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood, and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region.
MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, and three references, to:
MOHAI Human Resources: [email protected]
MOHAI is a 501(C)3 Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer.