At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature — to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a Membership Director for our Membership and Development Program. This is a full-time position that can be located in Tucson, Arizona.
General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a motivated, high-energy, people-focused fundraising Membership Director based in Tucson, Arizona. The Membership Director will be responsible for overseeing membership fundraising — both online and offline — including the acquisition, conversion, cultivation, solicitation, upgrade, stewardship, retention and win-back of the Center’s grassroots base of supporters and members. While supervising the Online Fundraising Director, the Membership Director will also oversee the drafting of appeals and must be an exceptionally strong writer and thinker, as well as being issue savvy. An aptitude for tracking and reporting data and a deep appreciation for, and understanding of, the metrics of success is essential. This position manages two direct reports and a total staff of seven, and reports directly to the Chief Development Officer. The Membership Director also works closely with program directors, the major gifts and donor relations team and the Executive Director.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the Online Fundraising Director, communications team, Chief Development Officer, Executive Director and fundraising consultants to develop and implement creative, high-revenue-producing, targeted digital and direct-mail advocacy-based fundraising campaign appeals to multiple segments of our supporter base.
- Develop annual and long-term strategic plans with goals designed to consistently increase the total number of members and fundraising revenues for the program.
- Must have a sharp eye for numbers and superb data-tracking skills to determine the ongoing success of the program in real time. Keep eyes fixed on bottom line, communicate with management clear explanations regarding the overall health of programs, spot any weaknesses as they arise and propose how to fix them.
- Working closely with membership staff and the finance department, produce regular reports for the Chief Development Officer and Executive Director to track and analyze the true costs of the membership program, income and trends.
- Supervise the membership team, lead regular meetings and facilitate brainstorming and implementation of accepted ideas. Coach and mentor staff to encourage professional development.
- Foster a productive and member-focused program that emphasizes efficient data management, tracking and gift processing; oversees and improves upon strong thanking and acknowledgment systems; and delivers high- touch, personalized, informative member services and communications.
- Serve as the liaison between the membership program and the Center’s communications and conservation programs. Help identify opportunities in Center’s conservation work for local, regional and national membership fundraising.
- Work with the communications program to draft and finalize our print and email newsletters.
- Ensure that online fundraising campaigns are hard-hitting, innovative activism and revenue generators, and that they are influential, while leveraging our strong social media presence.
- Working with the online fundraising and digital communications staff to expand social media presence so that it aligns with current and future giving goals.
- Identify and target members with the ability and inclination to upgrade to higher giving levels. Personally manage a portfolio of 100-plus Fast Track members with potential to upgrade, personally communicate with them, facilitate their engagement, and work closely with the Chief Development Officer and major gifts team to pass on high-capacity leads where they exist.
- Field phone, email and in-person inquiries from the staff and public regarding conservation- and donation-related questions.
- Oversee Center merchandise production/distribution; assist with event planning and the volunteer program.
- Directly manage two staff: the Online Fundraising Director and the Senior Membership Associate; oversee a total of seven or more additional staff, interns and volunteers.
- Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; ensuring that staff’s time is recorded accurately on timesheets and sent to Finance for payroll; routine staff reviews; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred).
- Strong understanding of environmental issues and nonprofit administration.
- Five to seven years of nonprofit membership/fundraising experience desired. At least three years of experience working with online digital fundraising, social media and communication streams.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and managing and analyzing data.
- Demonstrated supervisory, leadership and teamwork capabilities.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including for email and mailed appeals, annual reports and newsletters.
We offer the following benefits package:
- Generous medical and dental plan
- Paid STD and LTD
- 403(b) with opportunity for match
- Relaxed atmosphere and dress code
- The ability to work efficiently with remotely based team members utilizing technology.
- The propensity to work with high energy, a high degree of initiative and from a positive perspective while maintaining flexibility and attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of donation-management tools and database programs.
- A strong familiarity with donor/member management databases like ROI/Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge; advocacy/fundraising tools such as Democracy in Action/Salsa/Convio. Experience with community based e- acquisition tools such as Care2, Change.org, etc.; peer-to-peer and/or crowd-funding experience a plus.
Application process: To apply, please send a thoughtful cover letter and résumé via email to [email protected], "Attn: Membership Director.” The position will remain open until filled. The desired start date is as soon as possible. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
We are an EOE.