REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing & Membership
TYPE: Full-Time, Exempt
Organization Overview: Exponent Philanthropy is a vibrant membership organization that provides the resources and connections that help funders make the most of the minutes they have and the dollars they give. Exponent Philanthropy amplifies and celebrates the vital work of a diverse group of givers who unite through their unique style of giving, which is lean, agile, responsive, passionate, and personal. Membership is open to all individuals and organizations that give annually to more than one recipient, including those who use foundations, donor advised funds, giving circles, and other giving vehicles to carry out their philanthropy. We have members in all 50 states representing thousands of philanthropic leaders that embrace our warm and welcoming culture, based on the following principles: relationships come first, one size does not fit all, learning is a lifelong journey, quality is essential, and inspiration from the collective impact of our members.
In our staff, we look for highly collegial, ethical, bright, and customer service-oriented individuals who have a commitment to quality work. Staff members are passionate about our mission and core values, are driven by an entrepreneurial spirit, and have a strong outcomes orientation. Exponent Philanthropy is an organization that values and rewards performance, collaboration, and ingenuity.
Position Overview: This position is an integral part of our membership and marketing team and focuses on member acquisition. After evolving our brand from the Association of Small Foundations to Exponent Philanthropy in 2014, we are positioned to grow our membership in our core target market, leanly staffed private foundations, as well as in new target markets including small community foundations, individual donors, and philanthropic families. A successful Membership Development Manager will be innovative, creative, and committed to improving our overall member acquisition strategy and drive its implementation. He or she will collaborate with our full team and key stakeholders to ensure our acquisition goals are met.
- Contribute to the creation of and serve as the lead on execution of dynamic membership acquisition strategies that will result in annual net gains in membership and broader awareness of Exponent Philanthropy.
- Initiate, execute, and evaluate membership acquisition activities.
- Contribute to the development of and manage membership recruitment communications and campaigns.
- Collaborate with the broader team on identifying ways to effectively communicate the value of membership through development of print and digital collateral.
- Support and initiate organizational efforts to generate membership leads.
- Process, track, and nurture prospects with the goal of moving them through the membership pipeline and converting them to members.
- Collaborate with other teams to leverage existing programs and resources, and foster personal connections with prospects expressing interest in our network.
- Effectively work with member volunteers and staff on initiatives that will contribute positively to membership-related goals.
- Represent the organization at external events and effectively communicate the value of Exponent Philanthropy membership.
- 5+ years of association, marketing, sales, or philanthropy; philanthropy experience a plus.
- Capacity and motivation to develop an in-depth understanding of Exponent Philanthropy’s target audiences, programs, resources, and services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with different personality types.
- Experience with member databases, association management software, and/or customer relationship management software; Salesforce experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated past success in executing membership strategies that have resulted in growth.
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical, and organizational skills; able to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated assertiveness along with an ability to accept and learn from failure.
- Resourceful, with the ability to make decisions in an evolving environment as well as anticipate future needs.
- Attention to detail with the goal of generating and maintaining accurate data.
- Commitment to customer service-oriented excellence.
- Comfort with making presentations in front of an audience and meeting one-on-one with key stakeholders.
Interested parties should email cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com.
Exponent Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.