At C4Q, we believe that people from every community—across ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic background—should have the opportunity to learn to code, gain jobs in tech, and create companies of the future. It is our mission to increase economic opportunity and transform the tech industry into a leading hub for innovation and entrepreneurship, which both reflects and harnesses the potential of the world’s most diverse community.
Through our innovative Access Code program, we empower underserved, low-income, and underrepresented communities with skills, networks, and opportunity to launch careers in the start up and tech industry. This intensive 10-month program in mobile app development prepares participants with no prior coding experience for developer jobs, tripling their annual average salary. To date, Access Code has served nearly 175 students. Our graduates go from making $18,000 to over $85,000 a year, and are hired at leading companies such as Pinterest, Kickstarter, IBM, Jet, JPMorgan Chase. Participants are representative of the diversity of the NYC community with over 50% women, 60% African American or Hispanic, and 50% immigrant, and 50% without a college education.
With support from leaders in business, philanthropy, and technology including Blackstone, the Robin Hood Foundation, and Google, we are pioneering new pathways from poverty to the middle class.
Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, and serving as an integral member of the leadership team, the Managing Director of Development will lead all revenue and partnership strategies and activities. The Managing Director of Development will build out C4Q’s fundraising enterprise (strategy, systems and team) and is responsible for developing and implementing a diversified revenue plan to fund a $4.2M budget this year, and raise 85% of the budget next year.
Ultimately, the Managing Director of Development will expand fundraising through traditional channels including corporate and foundation support, the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, and special events, while developing a team that will raise $10-15M annually. With C4Q in the process of doubling its programming and staff in 2017, this position is an opportunity for a results-oriented, entrepreneurial fundraising professional to help us dramatically scale as we enter this stage of pivotal growth.
- Regularly collaborate with the CEO and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive revenue strategy to include corporate, foundation, and government grants, individual giving, special events, and earned income strategies
- Lead development of systems infrastructure and operational processes to implement C4Q’s financial strategy
- Secure $4-5 million in financial support from best-in-class funders across individuals, foundations, and corporations in the first year
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors and prospects - partner organizations have many opportunities to engage, including funding, providing volunteers, providing executive presence and mentorship, and hiring graduates
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Lead, develop, and mentor the development team (currently 3 full-time staff which will grow commensurate with fundraising goals)
- Engage and invest and collaborate with board members to…
- Collaborate in the design of creative campaigns that resonate with tech and social innovation sectors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Oversee organization of special events
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position C4Q ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Ten plus years of professional experience with demonstrated success in business development or fundraising
- Demonstrated track record in expanding and cultivating existing client or donor relationships over time
- Experience building, leading and executing fundraising systems and activities in a high growth context
- Results oriented and entrepreneurial, embracing innovation and experimentation in approach to work
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of stakeholders; skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising
- Strong systems building and project planning skills
- Experienced team manager who supports, mentors and motivates staff during a period of intense growth
- Passion for C4Q’s mission
- High level of energy, intellectual curiosity and excitement to fully engage with the broader NYC technology sector
C4Q offers highly competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills