Under the direction of the vice president, operations & government relations, the manager, public policy & government relations will be responsible for developing, organizing and implementing efforts to create a well-connected network of grantmakers and public officials in order to strengthen communities and advance the philanthropic goals of Southern California Grantmakers member organizations. We expect the manager will focus initially on public policy issues relating to veterans, child welfare, environment, homelessness, criminal justice and other topics that emerge. The manager will also educate foundations in understanding their unique roles and opportunities within the public policy realm.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Develop, organize and implement programs and leverage existing programs to strengthen SCG members’ knowledge and practice in matters of public policy and issue advocacy, primarily in the area of veterans, child welfare, environment, homelessness, criminal justice and other social justice issues;
- Identify prospective relationships, strengthen existing relationships, and facilitate the exchange of information between SCG members and federal, state and local policy makers and their staff through meetings and other communications;
- Work with the vice president, operations & government relations, identified staff, and volunteer members to support strategic alliances and collaborative activities in order to build statewide presence for organized philanthropy with policymakers;
- Work collaboratively with SCG’s program team and other staff to ensure coordinated public policy and advocacy efforts;
- Provide staff support to the members advisory committee that provides general direction and support for SCG’s public policy initiatives and programs;
- Monitor, analyze and communicate key policy issues and legislation relevant to member interests, especially veterans, child welfare, environment, homelessness, criminal justice and other areas that emerge, and the practice of philanthropy;
- Plan and implement SCG’s annual delegation of staff and members to participate in Foundations on the Hill, and participate in Sacramento Day with the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
- Provide support to the vice president, programs & strategic initiatives and senior program manager in the development and execution of SCG’s annual public policy conference;
- Identify and help support emerging public/private child welfare, environment, homelessness, criminal justice and other social justice issues);
- Support the collection of and analyze data that describes the local philanthropic sector
- Build and leverage collaborative relationships with SCG’s high-profile “entertainment talent philanthropy” members to support public policy advocacy efforts;
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. Three or more years’ experience in policy/advocacy, philanthropy, nonprofit, or government and/or strong, existing relationships and experience with public officials in any of the SCG’s regions a plus. Enthusiasm for the use of public policy/advocacy efforts, practice of organized philanthropy and knowledge of the region and sector, exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to manage key public policy relationships with integrity and consistency, including a keen ability to work effectively and respectfully with politically, ideologically, culturally and geographically diverse people and communities. Strong analytical and technical skills and ability to translate complex subjects into approachable concepts, solid organizational and project management skills, strong attention to detail, and effective oral, written and online communication skills. Ability to travel throughout the region, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a part of a team.
To apply submit letter of interest, resume and salary history to:
Vice President, Operations & Government Relations
Southern California Grantmakers
1000 N Alameda St. Suite 230
Los Angeles, CA 90012