About New Profit
New Profit is a pioneering venture philanthropy organization that backs social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. In partnership with a national network of philanthropists, New Profit provides unrestricted funding and strategic support to a portfolio of social entrepreneurs to help them realize their full potential. We also work to ensure that all social entrepreneurs can thrive by influencing how government and philanthropy fund and advance social problem solving through policy advocacy, convening, and field leadership efforts. Since its founding in 1998, New Profit has invested over $250M in its portfolio and unlocked over $1.7B in public sector funding for social innovation.
Read more about who we are, what we believe, and how we work in our 20th Anniversary Annual Report.
New Profit is looking for a strategic manager and analytical problem-solver with strong relationship management capabilities. This position represents a key member of the portfolio team, which will primarily focus on a range of critical activities related to our core grant-making strategy and operations. Activities include working to build systems and processes to ensure a robust pipeline of potential grants for New Profit’s portfolio; managing and executing selection activities and due diligence on potential grantees; and working with senior leaders to continue to refine and update New Profit’s grant-making strategy. This position plays an important role in linking our selection activities to our overall portfolio management goals and objectives. As part of New Profit’s Portfolio Performance and Support (PPS) team, this position will also play a role in supporting other portfolio functions and activities and overall team goals. The Manager reports to a New Profit Partner and may be asked to manage Associate(s) on the portfolio team.
Portfolio Grant Selection
- Coordinate with New Profit senior leaders to ensure pipeline building and selection activities reflect our grant-making priorities, principles, and align with portfolio composition targets.
- Serve as New Profit’s central point of contact for grant-making inquiries both internally and externally. Conduct “discovery” calls and meetings to vet potential fit between potential grantees with New Profit’s funding priorities and selection criteria. Create and manage systems to capture and analyze information on potential grantees.
- Manage the process for evaluating potential grantees; conduct diligence as well as provide guidance to others throughout the organization on diligence activities; create compelling memos with nuanced analysis and presentations on prospective grantees.
- Facilitate key meetings with grants advisory council to lead team through process and get to grant-making decision points.
- Capture learning and lessons learned from selection cycles for ongoing improvement of selection tools and processes.
- Develop and execute content and processes for the effective on-boarding of new portfolio organizations at the end of selection.
- Support implementation of the Portfolio team’s strategy and its operational effectiveness through various activities and projects as needed.
Who We Are Looking For
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to New Profit’s mission of breaking down barriers to opportunity for our country’s most marginalized communities
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, both verbally and in writing
- Experience and comfort with qualitative and basic quantitative analysis
- Demonstrated project management experience; highly organized and detail-oriented
- Adaptable and able to manage multiple, changing priorities and stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to switch between work that requires high level strategic thinking, and work that is more focused on logistics, operations and execution
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience (e.g., nonprofits, philanthropy, management consulting, venture capital) and / or advanced degree (e.g., MBA, MPA)
How to Apply
In lieu of a cover letter, please submit a resume and cover letter assignment (instructions below) addressed to Amina Fahmy and Kelly Cutler. Please upload questions where it indicates to attach your cover letter in the job posting.
In lieu of a cover letter, please share thoughtful responses to the following questions in 4-7 sentences per question:
- Please tell us why you are interested in this position; and what past experiences make you suited for it.
- This position requires strong relational and collaborative leadership including the ability to build rapport with a wide range of people, navigate complex relationships, and facilitate discussions for strong collective performance. How have you demonstrated these abilities in past work?
- This position also requires strong project management and the ability to shift from high level strategic thinking to execution with detail orientation towards goals and outcomes. Please describe any project management experience that demonstrates these abilities.
- Managing New Profit’s grant-making work requires collecting and synthesizing large amounts of information and creating nuanced analyses on potential grantees. How have you demonstrated these abilities in past work?
Please apply online at: https://hire.withgoogle.com/public/jobs/newprofitorg/view/P_AAAAAAEAABSDkjtwD_zkKr?trackingTag=newProfitCareers
New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. An equal opportunity employer, New Profit recognizes the power of a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. Please no phone calls or direct emails.
Do you like this post?