Lumos, an international NGO founded by J.K.Rowling, helps the 8 million children currently in orphanages regain their right to a family life. At least 80% of these children are not orphans but are separated from their families primarily by poverty and disability. Orphanages deprive children of loving families and put them at risk of impaired physical, intellectual and emotional development. Lumos supports countries in reforming child care and protection systems, focusing on the health, education, and social care services that keep families together.
Lumos works with the UN, the EU, the US Government, and the World Bank, focusing particularly on international aid as a driver of reform. It supports governments with expertise and skills, ranging from interventions to save the lives of children facing premature death to technical support on how to use complex financial mechanisms to ensure limited resources are used to achieve reform. Lumos has teams in Moldova, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Haiti, and Colombia, as well as offices in Brussels and New York. Lumos has demonstrated successfully that deinstitutionalization is achievable for every child.
Based in New York City, the Manager of Foundation and Corporate Relations (MFCR) will drive our campaign to raise funds from foundations and corporations. The MFCR will work closely with the Deputy Director of Fund Development (DD) and Executive Director (ED) to set and execute high-level foundation and corporate giving strategies. The MFCR will be responsible for creating and executing an operational plan to meet fundraising goals, developing strategies and cultivation plans for a portfolio of donors and prospects, and working with the Executive Director and Deputy Director of Fund Development to cultivate, solicit and steward donors.
- Identify new corporate and foundation prospects and develop strategies for engagement and cultivation of these prospects with the goal of significantly growing the base of foundation and corporate donors
- Create strategic, tailored cultivation and stewardship plans for every prospect and donor that results in successful retention of current donors, and that maximizes the giving potential of both prospects and current donors
- Track fundraising progress to goal, in part by managing accurate and up-to-date records in Salesforce
- Create and maintain the operational systems required to manage donor cultivation, stewardship and research to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and alignment with all corporate and foundation grant guidelines
- Develop and execute creative and strategic outreach plans to engage foundation and corporate partners
- Work with global fundraising team to write, develop and submit high quality written communications at all stages of the development process, including letters of intent, proposals, and mid-year and final reports, drawing on input and expertise from program staff
- Create and maintain a deadline-driven calendar of all activities related to corporate and foundation giving, including researching grant guidelines, submitting all grant materials on time, and following up as necessary
- Coordinate necessary internal and external resources to ensure all grant programs are effectively executed and partners’ needs are fully met
- Maintain compliance with all grant reporting and grant submission requirements
- Prioritize key actions for the ED and/or DD to take in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors through external meetings, events and correspondence and prepare/support them to execute
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years work experience, preferably within the NGO sector
- Exceptional level of personal responsibility with extraordinary goal orientation and a proven track record of meeting ambitious goals
- Critical thinker who displays strong judgment in prioritizing problems to solve and opportunities to pursue
- Motivated by achieving results through others and able to manage superiors and peers towards outcomes
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence and a deep curiosity about the beliefs, contexts and motivations of prospective partners
- Demonstrated ability to produce and deliver clear, concise, formal and informal oral and written communications – specifically, the ability to write compellingly about our organization, mission, and goals and effectively tailor messaging to different audiences
- Highly organized, deadline-driven, with exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability and/or willingness to manage systems and processes to ensure efficient operations
- Customer service approach to donor management
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Salary is commensurate with experience. Lumos USA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Lumos, please visit the website at https://wearelumos.org/
Lumos USA has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell/Senior Director of Leadership and Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages, and put the words “Lumos Foundation and Corporate Relations” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.