Background: American Farmland Trust (AFT) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization dedicated to saving America’s farm and ranchland, promoting sound farming practices, and keeping farmers on the land. Since its founding in 1980 by a group of farmers and citizens concerned about the rapid loss of farmland to development, AFT has helped save more than five million acres of farmland from development and led the way for the adoption of conservation practices on millions more. Additionally, AFT actively works to keep more farmers on the land by linking next generation farmers to farmland, championing women landowners and educating farmers on conservation techniques.
“No Farms, No Food.” This is a critical time for AFT, as saving enough farmland for food production is a defining challenge for this century, underscoring the urgency of AFT's mission. Equally critical is ensuring that there will be a next generation of farmers and ranchers to steward the land. AFT is recognized as bringing invaluable solutions to these issues and is well-positioned to dramatically increase support among people who care about their food, local farms, and the environment.
The Position: American Farmland Trust seeks a Manager of Corporate Relations to generate significant corporate revenue through the development of cause-marketing programs and corporate partnerships. Based in Washington DC, the Manager of Corporate Relations reports to the Senior Director of Institutional Giving and will work with the Vice President of Development and External Affairs to drive revenue growth and new business development of corporate partnerships. The focus of the programs and partnerships will be to support the mission of AFT and expand the reach, impact and visibility of the organization.
- Work with the Senior Director of Institutional Giving, Vice President and development staff on planning, developing and implementing a cause-marketing program that raises funds from and improves the positioning of AFT among corporations
- Coordinate with development and marketing teams on the activities of AFT corporate-focused initiatives
- Manage the day-to-day corporate partnerships and relationships
- Together with the development team, create and execute the corporate partnership fundraising goals and objectives, ensuring the programs meet the corporate partner’s expectations.
- Provide reporting and analysis on current cause-marketing programs in the AFT arena, develop a corporate prospecting plan, and provide an ongoing review of constituency building and partnership engagement
- Work closely with the Vice President of Development and External Affairs to manage messaging, marketing, and events
- Assist with the development and production of all partnership materials, solicitations, and web content
- Build new corporate partnerships with a focus on unrestricted funds
A bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of relevant professional experience in non-profit corporate partnership and cause marketing
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience in fundraising, sales, marketing and promotions
- Proven new business development capabilities
- Relevant for-profit experience in marketing, brand management, and public relations is a plus
- Additional experience in agriculture, environment or conservation, marketing or communications programs and materials preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and best practices associated with cause-marketing and brand awareness, including digital promotions and communications
- Demonstrated customer service experience
- Possess high standards of integrity, credibility, and reliability to articulate the organization’s needs, opportunities, and aspirations with clarity and enthusiasm.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet short deadlines
- Demonstrated to be a team player with a commitment to the mission, philosophy and values of AFT
- Organized, creative, pro-active, detail-oriented with a strong ability to prioritize
- Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
For more information about the American Farmland Trust, visit www.farmland.org
To Apply: The American Farmland Trust has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell, Senior Director, Leadership and Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please include “AFT, Corporate Relations” in the subject line of the email.