About Southern California Grantmakers and Philanthropy California
Southern California Grantmakers (SCG) is a regional association for philanthropists and grantmakers working to make a difference. We believe that a strong and informed giving community is essential to improving the quality of life for all Southern Californians. SCG connects grantmakers through sector-wide conferences, trainings, networking opportunities and funder convenings—providing space for collaboration and coordinated action on critical issues. SCG currently serves 330 members who, together, represent the spectrum of philanthropy, including corporate foundations and giving programs, family foundations, private independent foundations, community foundations, public foundations, individual philanthropists and government grantmakers.
Philanthropy California is an initiative of Northern California Grantmakers (NCG), Southern California Grantmakers (SCG), and San Diego Grantmakers (SDG). Our combined membership represents more than 600 foundations, corporate funders, philanthropic individuals and families, giving circles, and government agencies who invest billions every year to support communities across the state, the country, and worldwide.
The Manager, Knowledge & Communications will work with the Director, Knowledge & Communications on SCG’s strategic communications plan and supervise the Associate, Knowledge & Communications. This position will be in charge of crafting compelling narratives to support SCG’s different workstreams including membership, programs, member services, public policy, and Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation – Los Angeles. The Manager will help develop digital marketing strategies that utilize data, design, and storytelling to boost SCG’s membership engagement and community building as well as internal and external learning.
In collaboration with the Knowledge & Communications team, the Manager will help keep SCG staff members up to date on the latest news, research, and events in philanthropy, with a particular focus on Southern California. They will work with the team to develop internal resources that support SCG’s efforts to improve its member services and deepen its knowledge as the philanthropic field rapidly evolves.
In addition, the Manager will collaborate with other SCG, NCG and SDG staff on Philanthropy California initiatives.
This position is an excellent opportunity for a creative individual who is curious about the intersection of digital media and philanthropy. The ideal candidate will be interested in serving the philanthropic sector and building skills in a cross-functional organization.
Areas of Responsibility
- General Communications & Marketing: Serve as a strategist in the planning and execution of marketing plans for SCG’s programs, conferences, and other events. Tasks include but are not limited to managing SCG’s overall editorial calendar; organizing and drafting communications around themes that provide continuity to SCG’s efforts and fortify our brand identity; editing content for clarity and consistency across channels; building, implementing, and improving communications systems and processes to promote events and programs.
- Executive Communications and Media Relations: Collaborate with the Director, Knowledge & Communications on developing strategies around strengthening SCG’s brand externally and elevating the voice of SCG’s President & CEO as a leader in philanthropy, including but not limited to writing talking points, speeches, op-eds, and press releases.
- Email Marketing: Serve as the lead strategist in producing content for SCG’s email marketing campaigns. Be a thought partner to the Knowledge & Communications team in strengthening SCG’s digital strategies to achieve the organization’s mission and goals around member engagement.
- Social Media: Act as the supervisor for the implementation of digital strategies on SCG’s various social media platforms. Help create and track content and conversations while ensuring consistency with organizational messaging and branding.
- Website: Be the lead content producer for socalgrantmakers.org. Tasks include but not limited to writing, ensuring branding standards, and collaborating with the Knowledge & Communications team on storytelling strategies that incorporate insightful data, impactful designs, and high-quality writing.
- Learning & Evaluation: Collaborate with the Knowledge & Communications team to develop internal and external learning strategies for SCG’s online platforms.
- Oversee the Associate, Knowledge & Communications in carrying out all operations related to content production and strategy implementation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Writing/Copyediting: Proven track record of creative short- and long-form writing. Exceptional writing, storytelling, and editing skills with sound editorial judgment. Experience with crafting messages for various communications platform including social media, email, and website. Ability to edit for substance and tone to ensure content is unique, supported by evidence and engaging, and that it exemplifies SCG’s voice and values. Ability to quickly produce high quality written content.
- Analytical: Ability to develop reports and use qualitative and quantitative information in planning, troubleshooting, and decision-making.
- Project Management: Ability to create concise and workable project plans, communicate those plans clearly, and manage deadlines. Ability to build systems, processes, and structures to achieve measurable goals. Fast learner with impeccable attention to detail and a proven track record of on-time delivery for complex projects with distributed ownership.
- Open-Minded and Entrepreneurial Approach: Intellectual curiosity and interest in using experimenting with new communications tools and strategies. Interest in new technologies, design thinking, and data. Exceptional interpersonal skills, customer service attitude and ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels from a range of backgrounds.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a fast-paced environment, preferably in the philanthropy/nonprofit sector.
- Previous experience with CRM and CMS highly desired or an interest in learning these systems.
- Previous experience with Pardot or other email marketing platforms; knowledge in basic HTML preferred.
- Previous experience with managing social media communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related fields.
Send cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to [email protected] with the subject Manager, Knowledge & Communications.
Southern California Grantmakers (SCG) is an equal opportunity employer. SCG is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to color, race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.