The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) is a nonprofit organization focused on the development of comparative data to enable higher-performing funders. CEP’s mission is to provide data and create insight so philanthropic funders can better define, assess, and improve their effectiveness – and, as a result, their intended impact.
For nearly 15 years, CEP has led the movement to improve philanthropy through a powerful combination of dispassionate analysis and a passionate commitment to improving lives. Today, over 300 foundations have used CEP’s assessment tools to gather honest feedback from their stakeholders in an effort to learn how to be even more effective. CEOs and trustees have come to rely on our research for insights into foundation effectiveness on a wide range of topics, from assessing performance to developing strategy to managing stakeholder relationships. Our highly regarded programming—including our biennial conference—gives foundation leaders an exclusive and unprecedented opportunity to connect with their peers. CEP is based in Cambridge Massachusetts, with a second office in San Francisco, California. Strengths of CEP’s work culture are entrepreneurialism, accountability, teamwork, collegiality, diversity, and mutual respect.
CEP is expanding its Assessment and Advisory Services team and is seeking a dynamic and skilled Manager to join its San Francisco office. Reporting to the Director, Assessment and Advisory Services, the Manager position is responsible for leading effective engagements with CEP’s foundation clients by partnering with a variety of stakeholders. Externally, the Manager builds and maintains relationships with foundation leaders and represents CEP in meetings, presentations of assessment tool results, and at conferences and speaking engagements. Internally, the Manager supervises research analysts and collaborates with other leaders on the strategy and continuous improvement of the Assessment Tools department. While focused initially on the Assessment Tools portion of CEP’s work, the Manager will also have opportunities to participate in CEP’s growing Advisory Services work.
A successful Manager, Assessment and Advisory Services will achieve the following outcomes:
- Lead a portfolio of client engagements, driving the development of appropriate tools, overseeing data collection and analysis processes, and presenting results to clients
- Develop new business for CEP’s Assessment and Advisory Services department, identifying opportunities for CEP to meet foundations’ needs related to data-driven decision-making
- Foster high performance and individual development among CEP’s research analysts through effective supervision, coaching, and collaboration, and by promoting a positive environment within the San Francisco office
In order to achieve the preceding outcomes, the Manager will:
- Cultivate strong existing and new client relationships based on trust, communication, and a commitment to service excellence
- Oversee the development of high quality assessment tools engagements by appropriately scoping projects, managing and interpreting data collection and analysis; effectively managing project-based teams; making choices about what paths of analysis to pursue; and deciding how best to communicate results through CEP’s online reporting system and presentations for clients
- Help clients understand assessment results, demonstrating patience, empathy, and an appreciation for organizational dynamics and the psychological barriers to change and improvement
- Contribute to new business development by reaching out to potential clients, following up on inquiries and leads as well as exploring new business opportunities with existing clients
- Participate on the managers’ team, addressing the strategy, content, and continuous improvement of CEP’s assessment tools and identifying opportunities to provide advisory services
- Supervise research analysts through coaching, mentoring and training to foster their development and ensure that CEP’s work is of consistently high quality
- Attend conferences and generate interest in CEP’s work through public speaking and generating word-of-mouth buzz about the accomplishments and goals of CEP
- Contribute positively to the organization’s culture by demonstrating a commitment to the organization’s mission, its belief in the power of good data to improve decision-making, and its commitment to excellence
- Minimum of five years of experience, with management/strategy consulting experience highly desired
- A minimum of a bachelor’s (BA, BS) degree is required; advanced degree in business, public policy, public health, or public administration preferred
- Experience developing and managing client relationships with responsibility for deliverables and presentations; past success in a sales capacity preferred
- Comfort interacting with high-level senior executives in high-pressure, high-stakes settings
- Passionate commitment to the work of the nonprofit sector and the effectiveness of philanthropy
- Experience leading teams and mentoring or training junior staff members, with the ability to collaborate effectively with remote colleagues
- Outstanding analytical ability and commitment to data-driven insight, including facility with basic statistical analyses (i.e., T-tests, ANOVA)
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Power Point skills
- Experience developing and delivering presentations
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Highest level of personal integrity and commitment to excellence
- Travel of approximately 40% will be required of this position
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Austin Long at
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CEP offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. CEP is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
CEP has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Manager, Assessment and Advisory Services. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with