Major Gifts Officer
The essential function of the Major Gifts Officer is to lead the JCCSF’s major giving initiatives. The Major Gifts Officer will identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of 150-175 philanthropic donors and prospects. The Major Gifts Officer will work closely with the Senior Director of Development as an essential part of the Development Team. This position is responsible for implementing the major donor development strategy as part of a comprehensive annual fundraising plan for the organization. This person will perform a significant share of the JCCSF’s major donor solicitations with prospects identified from new sources as well as through a moves management system, working with the Annual Campaign Manager. The Major Gifts Officer is expected to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new individuals.
- Manage 150 - 180 individual donors and prospects per year.
- Work closely with individual giving manager and development department colleagues and to implement strategies to meet and exceed annual fundraising goals from individuals for the JCCSF.
- Maintain an active and current body of knowledge pertaining to a growing constituency of current and prospective donors.
- Maintain an active schedule of solicitations, cultivation visits, events and stewardship activities.
- Perform and close at least 75 personal solicitations per year.
- Partner with and accompany the Senior Director of Development, Chief Development Officer, CEO and / or Board members on major solicitations – as needed.
- Help motivate and mobilize Board members and other volunteers to engage in solicitations and other cultivation/stewardship activities.
- Design, develop and implement strong cultivation and stewardship strategies to nurture and maintain relationships with major prospects and donors to all campaigns.
- Develop and implement long-range plan for donor engagement and involvement.
- Track and maintain significant donor and prospect interactions through the Salesforce database.
- Act as a strong ambassador for the JCCSF, among internal staff and with external constituencies.
- Maintain visibility and availability in the community and frequently attend community events.
- Attend meetings of, and help provide staff support for, the Board, Development Advisory Committee and other relevant committees, as assigned.
- Identify opportunities to seek and obtain endowment gifts to the JCCSF.
- Support design and implementation of fundraising events as needed.
- Other responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in nonprofit development in a major gifts environment
- Significant and successful experience performing personal solicitations of gifts in excess of $5,000 and managing a portfolio of at least 100 donors.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of the JCCSF
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional skills in leadership and diplomacy
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information
- Knowledge of the Bay Area’s Jewish donor community is helpful but not required
- B.A./B.S. degree; advanced degree preferred