We are looking for a talented person to lead internal efforts to learn and share as much as possible from the work done by Foundation grantees, fellows and staff to amplify the impact of that great work. The right candidate will be excited to put their analytical, strategic and communication skills to use in a dynamic and highly collaborative mission-driven organization.
The Bush Foundation is a private foundation based in St. Paul, Minnesota. We invest in great ideas and the people who power them, helping individuals and organizations think bigger and think differently about what is possible for their communities.
The Foundation was established in 1953 by 3M executive Archibald Bush and his wife, Edyth, and today works in communities across Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and the 23 Native nations that share the same geography.
The Learning and Evaluation manager is a member of the Foundation’s Strategy and Learning team, home for several strategic investment portfolios aimed at funding, building expertise and making a significant impact in a select number of key issue areas (Education, Native Nation Building and Community Creativity). These portfolios are at varying degrees of development; when fully implemented, each will include 1) investments in major initiatives where the Foundation partners with innovative organizations that are achieving results 2) ecosystem grants where the Foundation provides operating support to organizations that create the environment where change can flourish, and 3) support for capacity building and leadership development for the people involved in leading these changes.
You can find much more about these programs and other Foundation activities at http://www.bushfoundation.org/.
The Learning and Evaluation Manager advances the goals of the Bush Foundation by supporting learning and evaluation organization-wide. This manager works across all of the Foundation’s program areas to assist in developing and executing evaluation strategies and learning plans so that we can achieve our operating value of doing more good, every year. This is a new position.
Core Responsibilities & Key Relationships
• Lead the cross-foundation evaluation team, setting agendas and building capacity of members, providing technical assistance and support to improve evaluation and learning practices and products across the Foundation.
• Lead and coordinate cross-foundation process evaluation for open grant programs, serving as project manager and working with program teams and external vendors.
• Partner with and provide support to program teams on impact evaluations and any other evaluation needs (e.g., case studies). Help structure surveys and process to meet evaluation objectives.
• Work closely with the Community Network Operations Manager and program teams to collect and analyze data on the application process, grantee support and program features.
• Be point person with external vendors to accomplish evaluation activities.
• Coordinate and actively promote sharing of Bush Foundation and grantee/fellow lessons through Learning Papers, Learning Logs, “b” Magazine, and other forums.
• Facilitate grantee report/learning log process with program teams.
• Support the development, due diligence and selection process for projects and grants of the Strategy & Learning team.
• Demonstrate content expertise in internal and external settings.
• Actively demonstrate core organizational values in performing all duties.
• At least five years professional experience with at least two years in a role with significant learning or evaluation responsibility. Learning or evaluation experience in a not-for-profit or mission-driven organization is a plus.
• Familiarity of and experience working with a variety of quantitative and qualitative analysis research methods and tools.
• Strong communication, interpersonal and project management skills required in order to effectively coordinate work assignments and relationships across multiple teams.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact, communicate and collaborate with people from a wide range of cultural backgrounds.
This position exists in a general office environment. Some travel may be required, with occasional adjustments to the work schedule in order to participate in events or meet priority deadlines.
Bush Foundation Values
Spread Optimism. We encourage individuals and organizations to think bigger and think differently about what is possible. We are positive and supportive in our internal and external interactions.
Work Beyond Ourselves. We actively seek opportunities to work in true collaboration with others to have more impact. We are willing to both lead and follow. We candidly share what we learn with others.
Everybody Matters. We are a champion for both excellence and equity inside and out of the Foundation. We have fair, open and inclusive processes. We work to raise overall quality of life while also closing opportunity and achievement gaps.
Steward Well. We demonstrate appreciation for the Foundation’s history and thoughtfully build on its legacy. We hold ourselves to high standards of integrity and accountability, and conduct ourselves in a way that we hope would make our founders proud.
More Good Every Year. We are a true learning organization and work to be smarter and more effective every year. We never lose sight of the reason we exist: to do the most possible good with the resources left to the community by Archibald G. Bush.
We will be hosting a brief webinar on Friday, January 8 from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. (central time) to get you better acquainted with the Bush Foundation and the position.
If you’re interested, please join us by clicking on the following link:
The recording will be available on our website following the webinar.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Human_Resources@BushFoundation.org or to Human Resources, Bush Foundation, 101 Fifth Street East, Suite 2400, St. Paul, MN 55101. We’re eager to fill this position so please apply by 12:00 p.m. (central time) on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 to ensure that your application can be considered.
Help us keep track of your application by adding “Learning and Evaluation Manager: [your name]” to the subject line of your email, or to the outside of the envelope. Thanks!
The Bush Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer