ABOUT BREAKTHROUGH COLLABORATIVE
Founded in San Francisco in 1978, Breakthrough Collaborative is a pioneer in the development and practice of students teaching students and teachers training teachers – two uniquely collaborative models of instruction that unlock the extraordinary potential for students and teachers of all ages to engage each other in learning, teaching, and leading. Today, Breakthrough is comprised of 25 affiliates across the country, annually serving nearly 5,000 students and training nearly 1,000 outstanding high school and college students to teach underserved middle school students in rigorous six-week academic summer programs. Breakthrough’s national office has new leadership in place, an engaged and active board of trustees, and a committed staff and affiliate network of education leaders. Standing on healthy financial footing and looking toward significant expansion, Breakthrough’s national office is positioned to drive the Collaborative’s growth and sustainability.
For more information, please visit www.breakthroughcollaborative.org.
ROLE DESCRIPTION INSTITUTIONAL GIVING MANAGER
The Institutional Giving Manager position is a great opportunity for a mid-career development professional to join an energetic and collaborative team during an exciting time of change and growth for Breakthrough. The Institutional Giving Manager will be a key member on the development team, highly involved in all aspects of institutional giving for the national office, and responsible for managing Breakthrough’s institutional donor relationships with foundations, corporations and potentially, with government agencies. The majority of the Institutional Giving Manager’s time will be focused on identifying, soliciting, and stewarding Breakthrough’s corporate and foundation donors.
The position reports to the Chief Development Officer, but also works closely with the Individual Giving Manager, Executive Director, program, communications and finance teams. The Institutional Giving Manager’s work will be critical to the success of our overall efforts to improve educational opportunity in this country, and we’re looking for a dynamic, passionate, and thoughtful team member to help propel our work forward. This position will be based at our national office in Oakland, CA.
- Grant Writing and Management: Serve as the primary writer on all grant proposals, requests, and reports to foundations. Manage the grant submission process, including collection and synthesis of data, completion of proposals, tracking, reporting, and corresponding with foundation and corporate donors. Develop and maintain an annual schedule of letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports, tracking outcomes and updating the calendar on a regular basis. Build and sustain a pipeline of prospective funders by researching and identifying new grant prospects. Provide leadership for strategic planning around funding alignment, upgrades from current donors and increasing multiyear grants. Work with national program staff to ensure accurate information is transmitted in all funder communications.
- Institutional Giving Stewardship and Solicitation. Research and identify corporate and foundation prospects and opportunities. Assist the Chief Development Officer and Executive Director in developing engagement strategies for current and potential institutional donors. Support strategic donor outreach and communications, and maintain regular correspondence with key funding representatives. Conduct inperson meetings with foundation staff members to cultivate, solicit and steward relationships as needed, utilizing senior staff where necessary. Assist the communications team in the development of engaging funder collateral.
- Data Management. Support the organization’s development database in relation to institutional donors, developing strategies for its use and collaborating with the database manager to ensure regular, accurate data collection in support of meaningful, regular reporting. Analyze and share fundraising and grant implementation and impact data to empower informed decision making with respect to Breakthrough’s prospects and strategies, and effective compliance with and stewardship of current grants.
- 35 years’ development experience in 2 or more of the following areas: grant writing, proposal development, grant management, corporate sponsorships, prospect research
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally
- Computer literacy, including experience and proficiency with databases and office productivity software
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and complete projects successfully as planned
- Ability to work with diverse constituents, both internally and externally
- Appreciation for Breakthrough’s dual mission of increasing teacher quality and college access for low-income students
- Experience in or significant knowledge of educationrelated nonprofit organizations
- Familiarity and/or experience with national funders for education
- Knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area philanthropic community
- Proficiency with the Salesforce CRM platform
COMPENSATION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION
The compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and expertise. We offer competitive health benefits, a 401(k) retirement plan, and a generous paid time-off policy.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to [email protected]. In the subject line of your email, please include your name, the job title for this position, and the company name (“Your name – Institutional Giving Manager Breakthrough Collaborative”).
Please do not contact the client directly. Schaffer&Combs is retained by Breakthrough Collaborative to manage the Institutional Giving Manager search. Schaffer&Combs solves problems and provides growth solutions for mission-driven organizations.
Breakthrough Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer and makes a particular effort to recruit candidates from all backgrounds.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with