ABOUT BREAKTHROUGH COLLABORATIVE
Founded in San Francisco in 1978, Breakthrough Collaborative is a pioneer in the development and practice of students teaching students and teachers training teachers – two uniquely collaborative models of instruction that unlock the extraordinary potential for students and teachers of all ages to engage each other in learning, teaching, and leading. Today, Breakthrough is comprised of 25 affiliates across the country, annually serving nearly 5,000 students and training nearly 1,000 outstanding highschool and college students to teach underserved middleschool students in rigorous sixweek academic summer programs. Breakthrough’s national office has new leadership in place, an engaged and active board of trustees, and a committed staff and affiliate network of education leaders. Standing on healthy financial footing and looking toward significant expansion, Breakthrough’s national office is positioned to drive the Collaborative’s growth and sustainability.
For more information, please visit www.breakthroughcollaborative.org.
ROLE DESCRIPTION INDIVIDUAL GIVING MANAGER
The Individual Giving Manager position is a great opportunity for a midcareer development professional to join an energetic and collaborative team during an exciting time of change and growth for Breakthrough. The Individual Giving Manager will be a key staff person on the development team, highly involved in all aspects of individual giving of the national office, and responsible for managing Breakthrough’s Individual Giving Program. Additional responsibilities include planning, implementation, and management of the annual giving program including securing annual gifts from appeals and events.
The position reports to the Chief Development Officer but also works closely with the Institutional Giving Manager, Executive Director, as well as national Program, Communications, and Finance teams. The Individual Giving Manager’s work will be critical to the success of Breakthrough’s efforts to improve educational opportunity in the United States, and we’re looking for a dynamic, passionate, and thoughtful team member to help propel our work forward. This position will be based at our national office in Oakland, CA.
○ Program Management: Create and manage an annual giving program for gifts under $5,000. Manage all print, phone and online solicitations and campaigns, including production of collateral materials in partnership with the communications team. Develop a monthly giving program as well as new giving levels. Assist the communications team in the development of donor communications and collateral. Oversee matching gift activity.
○ Prospect Management: Research and identify individual prospects at all giving levels. Build a pipeline of prospective donors by researching and identifying new individual prospects. Cultivate, steward, retain and upgrade existing donors. Support Chief Development Officer in managing Board relationships and creating engagement strategies for current and potential individual donors. Support strategic donor outreach and communications, and maintain regular correspondence with key funding representatives.
- Data Management: Will hold primary responsibility for the organization’s development database in relation to individual donors. Develop strategies for use and ensure regular, accurate updates and report generation. Analyze and share fundraising data with internal and external audiences to empower informed decision making on fundraising prospects and strategies. Work with national program staff to ensure accurate information is transmitted in all funder communications.
- Special Event Management: Assist in developing the strategy, managing the logistics, and executing all activities for Breakthrough’s annual fundraising gala and other donor cultivation events. This includes drafting event agendas, preparing invitation lists, researching and reserving venues, coordinating arrangements with hosts as applicable, receiving responses, and collecting all other Breakthrough materials as needed.
- 35 years of direct experience in a nonprofit fund development staff position
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally, including strong persuasive writing skills
- Computer literacy, including experience and proficiency with databases and office productivity software
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and complete projects successfully as planned
- Ability to work with diverse constituents, both internally and externally
- Appreciation for Breakthrough’s dual mission of increasing teacher quality and college access for lowincome students
- Successful development experience, including event management & coordination, individual solicitation, and database management
- Experience with, or significant knowledge of, educationrelated nonprofit organizations
- Familiarity and/or experience with the national education funder community
- Knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area philanthropic community
- Proficiency with the Salesforce CRM platform
COMPENSATION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION
The compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and expertise. We offer competitive health benefits, a 401(k) retirement plan, and a generous paid timeoff policy.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to [email protected]. In the subject line of your email, please include your name, the job title for this position, and the company name (“Your name – Individual Giving Manager – Breakthrough Collaborative”).
Please do not contact the client directly. Schaffer&Combs is retained by Breakthrough Collaborative to manage the Individual Giving Manager search. Schaffer&Combs solves problems and provides growth solutions for mission-driven organizations.
Breakthrough Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer and makes a particular effort to recruit candidates from all backgrounds.