We’re a fast growing nonprofit that harnesses the power of data science in the service of humanity. We bring pro bono data scientists together with organizations that are dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing challenges. Every day, mission driven organizations apply to us with their data science needs. We then work to understand their pain points, how their organization works and, most importantly, how their data and other data sources can be used to make the biggest impact on the world.
We’ve helped the World Bank estimate poverty from satellite imagery, teamed with the Grameen Foundation to improve their mobile knowledge programs in Uganda, and joined the Red Cross in using fire data and open city data to understand where fires are most likely to occur. We’ve gained a prominent voice in both the data sector and the social entrepreneurship world and you can find word of us in The Guardian, The Economist, Mashable, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review. See this TEDx video for more about what we do.
ABOUT THE ROLE : INDIVIDUAL GIVING LEAD
We’re looking for a self-motivated and goal-oriented team member who is passionate about developing a new individual giving program at DataKind. You will serve as the team’s resident individual giving expert, managing the day to day operations of this major donor program.
You will be part of a highly effective and collaborative Capital & Growth team who will support you, but also have the space to take ownership of new business development as you identify, qualify and cultivate new high net worth individual supporters. You will work closely with the Managing Director of Capital & Growth, Julia Rhodes-Davis, as well as the CEO, Jake Porway, to push forward a comprehensive Individual Giving Strategy by building processes, pipelines, and stewardship practices.
You will consistently identify new prospects and opportunities to cultivate relationships. You will build a deep understanding of individual priorities and potential for upgraded gifts to help us reach our short- and long-term goals.
You will always have your finger on the pulse of our existing donors, managing their experience with DataKind and ensuring each individual receives regular personalized touch points throughout the year. You will plan fundraising and cultivation events, including dinners and receptions to provide interactive gatherings for our team to engage with donors. Working with the Communications team, you will create materials and reports that keep donors engaged in events, programs, or projects that speak to their interests.
WHAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE HERE
- You will work to achieve our mission: to harness the power of data science in the service of humanity.
- You will lift up our team, sponsors, funders, and partners who are mission-aligned to reduce human suffering.
- You will contribute your ideas and perspectives to our long term goals, helping us to achieve our goals together.
You will lead a core component of our growth strategy, and DataKind will have launched a major donor program within the first three months.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE ROLE
Personal & Professional Growth
- You will hone your ability to cultivate relationships, identify opportunities and build significant partnerships.
- You will build deep professional relationships with our internal team and external stakeholders like IBM, Google, Singularity University, Rockefeller Foundation, the UN, etc.
- You will hone your creativity by developing reciprocal, meaningful relationships with DataKind’s donors.
- You will successfully navigate the intricacies and nuances of a fast-growth start-up.
The Tangibles and Intangibles
- You will receive a competitive salary and benefits package with room for growth.
- No more working in between Christmas and New Years--our entire office shuts down, and this doesn’t come out of your vacation time.
- Commute to work? We have fantastic commuter perks depending on your mode of transport.
- We also provide stellar health insurance, vacation, and leave, among other things!
- You will work with a team of energetic, positive people who are results-oriented and committed to social change.
- You will gain access to a robust, exciting network of people across the innovation economy.
- You will work in San Francisco, a vibrant city full of diverse history, culture, and nearby recreation.
WHO YOU ARE:
A Driven Professional. You’re equipped with 4-8 years of experience in a business development, individual giving, major donors, or related role.
A Relationship Builder. You thrive in meeting new people and fostering burgeoning relationships. You like learning what motivates people, what inspires their generosity, and makes them feel appreciated. You shape relationships inherent with an ethos of reciprocity.
An Exceptional Communicator. You have excellent oral and written communication skills. You can craft high-quality proposals and presentations, explain complex concepts in a digestible and humble manner, and have that rare mix of intellect and intuition.
Resourceful and Adaptable. You’re at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions to obstacles. You can juggle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritizing.
Ambitious and Tenaciously Goal Oriented. You thrive with ambitious goals and metrics ahead of you and you won’t stop until they’re met.
- Mission-driven. You’re committed to a career for impact. You’ve had several volunteer experiences and are intimately familiar with what it is like to be giving up your free time for something you love.
BONUS IF YOU ARE:
- Tech Savvy. You geek out about technology and data. You understand the importance and the power of both and deeply in their ability to positively change lives--at scale.
IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Please complete the following quick application. The application is on a rolling basis; so we encourage you to submit yours soon!
The application will be a 2-part process. If your background and experience align, you will be asked to complete a short-answer questionnaire designed to replace a cover letter. Please take your time with them and copy in your answers from a separate document.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Commitment to diversity is one of DataKind's core values as we work to foster an inclusive work environment. We cannot do our work without collaboration between people with diverse skill-sets and backgrounds. That’s why we intentionally recruit staff with varied backgrounds, cultures, histories and values to create the rich and vibrant team we need to tackle wicked problems. We encourage candidates to include and describe parallel or equivalent experience where appropriate. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.