Help mobilize a movement for the local press our democracy deserves
The American Journalism Project is seeking our first-ever Head of Marketing and Communications to set and build our brand strategy and marketing communications. We are seeking an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and creative leader who has a strong foundation in digital media, data analytics and storytelling to advance a mission.
This role will report to the CEO and play a vital role in building awareness of AJP and its mission and mobilizing a broad movement for a new public service media. This role will lead marketing activities across all AJP teams (development, grantmaking and venture support) including establishing tactical plans and measuring and refining those plans based on data-driven results.
The Head of Marketing and Communications will bring a strategic approach to building the AJP brand and mobilizing a national movement to support the local press our democracy deserves.
In this role, you will design and execute a marketing communications strategy to tell the story of AJP and its grantees across the U.S.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and oversee an overall brand strategy in support of AJP’s mission.
- Manage and execute the brand and identity for all print, presented and digital content.
- Develop marketing metrics and tracking system.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for members of the media.
- Creative direction for all marketing and communications outputs.
- Identify, manage, and execute media and speaking appearances.
- Write and edit press materials, talking points and other key case-making documents.
- Manage and oversee AJP’s digital communications, including leading a redesign of AJP’s website.
- Work collaboratively with internal managers to support their communications needs.
- Manage an agency relationship to support AJP’s brand identity and related messaging.
- You will work closely with our CEO, as well as AJP strategy and development staff.
- We expect to hire a number two once you get comfortable in the role.
WHO YOU ARE
This role is a fit if…
- You are a marketer at heart and think in terms of movement building.
- You are a highly organized self-starter and comfortable in a fast-moving organization.
- You are an innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- You are deeply committed to the vital importance of local journalism in democracy.
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Demonstrated experience and leadership developing and managing a comprehensive brand and marketing communications strategy and plan.
- Demonstrated experience building communications strategies and teams that center diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A successful track record of work in advocacy, movement building, politics, and/or philanthropic ventures.
- Exceptional fluency in digital communications strategies.
- Strong writing,editing and visual presentation skills.
- Excellent judgment and superior attention to detail.
- Ability to build trust-based relationships with colleagues in a virtual setting.
- Flexibility and comfort working in an environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
- Knowledge of the media landscape and an ability to work well with journalists.
- Proficient with G-Suite, including strong visual and presentation (slides) skills.
- Relevant work experience (e.g. nonprofit communications, campaign development and execution).
- Your voice will carry through every part of our growing organization and help us mobilize a movement with excellence, humility and greater impact.
Start date: June 2020
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits.
WHO WE ARE
We’re an entrepreneurial team working to re-shape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy.
We build and grow sustainable local news organizations all over the country, through financial investment, venture support, and movement building.
We are a distributed team and strive to maintain a healthy, fun and productive workplace, working alongside smart, energetic colleagues who enjoy one another and enjoy the work.
In 2019, AJP announced its first $8.5M in grants to support 11 civic news organizations across the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a PDF of your resume to [email protected] Include “Head of Marketing and Communications” in the subject line. Please include a few sentences in your email about your interest in the role.
The American Journalism Project is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. The American Journalism Project encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply