Reports to: Program Officer (dotted line to President)
Location: Philadelphia, PA (Center City)
Classification: full-time, exempt, salaried, 40 hours per week
- Paid vacation includes all Federal holidays, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day, and three additional weeks of personal days per year accumulated at the rate of 1.25 days/month.
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Participation in 403(b) plan with a generous employer contribution
Start Date: Early December (negotiable)
About Samuel S. Fels Fund
The Samuel S. Fels Fund (Fels Fund) was founded in 1935 by Samuel S. Fels, the son of refugees and a Philadelphia industrialist, philanthropist and civic leader who acquired his wealth through the manufacture of Fels Naptha, a popular household soap. The Fels Fund is a private grant-making foundation committed to improving the conditions and opportunities for communities that are marginalized in Philadelphia, working towards a more socially, racially and economically just society. Areas of grant-making focus include immigrants/refugees, child welfare, arts and culture, and community organizing.
Summary of Position
The Grants & Operations Associate will manage daily operations and the Fels’ grants management system to ensure the foundation runs smoothly. This person will be responsible for all vendor relations, accounts payable, grants management, and office management, and will serve as grant information communications lead throughout Fels and to the public.
- Grants Administration (40%)
- Oversee the development and preparation of grant docket materials for Board and Committee review and prepare Board and Committee mailings.
- Manage grants and grant applications to include grant applicants’ interface with online application process from initial funding inquiry through Board review and result. Provide guidance on eligibility and guidelines, technical support throughout application process, and schedule applicant meetings and site visits with staff.
- Maintain data and reporting in Blackbaud Grantmaking, (Fels’ grants management system) and ensure ongoing accuracy and integrity of the system’s data.
- Manage daily operations to ensure the foundation runs smoothly, and ensure deadlines are met (40%)
- Daily operations include handling routine financial transactions, office and telephone reception, event/meeting planning, scheduling, office supplies, and accounts payable.
- Work with accountant and auditor to ensure that vendor payments, payroll, taxes, and benefits are recorded accurately and on a timely basis in QuickBooks.
- Coordinate staff and Board calendars, manage external events for funding convenings/learnings, and prepare materials and office for meetings.
- Update website with recent grants, photos and grantee spotlights.
- Troubleshoot technology problems; serve as resource for staff on technology issues, including grants management system; serve as liaison to IT firm.
- Assist the President of the Fund and Board of Directors with scheduling and analytic reports (20%)
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work collaboratively
Essential Skills Required
- Proficient with grants management system, CRM or some form of program database management system, ideally Blackbaud Grantmaking/GIFTS Online
- Experience and knowledge with respect to accounts payable (QuickBooks)
- Strong computer skills with mastery of Microsoft Office 365, WordPress & PC computer systems
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), critical thinking, customer service and organizational skills
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and time management skills with a commitment to professional conduct in all situations
More About What We are Seeking
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to shift styles to fit the needs of a wide range of cultures, people, and organizations while keeping an open mind
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, take initiative, exercise independent judgment, meet deadlines under pressure, and maintain confidentiality
- Creative problem-solving ability and motivated to embrace challenges
- Values that align with Fels Fund’s social, racial and economic justice mission
- Ability to work occasional evenings, typically around board meetings
- Sense of humor!
Application/Hiring Process and Timeline
All interested applicants should submit their resume and a thoughtful cover letter saying what about the role most interests you and what you can uniquely bring to it. All applications should be emailed to email@example.com with the subject line: [GOA – Your Name]. Deadline for applications is 5 p.m. September 12, 2019.
Note: Credit and reference check will be conducted for final candidate
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Samuel S. Fels Fund, an Equal Opportunity Employer, seeks to reach a broad and diverse candidate pool when filling vacant positions. We strongly encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds because we believe that the foundation and its work benefit from the various perspectives, experiences and talents of a diverse staff. The Fels Fund is committed to developing and upholding a culture that is welcoming and inclusive.
The Samuel S. Fels Fund does not discriminate with respect to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, military status, partnership/familial status, or any other legally protected characteristics. This policy applies to employees, board members, grantees, outside vendors, contractors, consultants, and to the fullest reasonable extent possible, our corpus investment choices, with regard to terms and conditions of employment, grant making, opportunities for training or advancement, dealings with the general public, and all other activities pertaining to the operations of the Fund.