SPUR is a membership-based, non-profit organization that brings people together to develop solutions to the urban challenges we face across the Bay Area. With offices in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland, we are recognized as a leading civic planning organization and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
Under supervision of the Chief Development Officer, the Grants Manager will be responsible for writing, tracking, and coordinating grant applications and reports and for researching, and stewarding revenue from foundations. They will manage and grow an existing portfolio of institutional funders to help achieve SPUR’s fundraising goals. The Grants Manager works across the region to support our foundation fundraising in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland — in each of the three cities in which SPUR operates.
We are seeking an experienced development professional with a proven track record of successfully managing all aspects of a foundation and government grants portfolio. A successful candidate will have an acute attention to detail, the ability to prioritize competing deadlines, excellent project management focus, and exceptional communication skills. SPUR’s Grants Manager will be resourceful and work independently, yet collaboratively, at all levels.
- Write, and submit letters of intent, applications and full grant proposals in compliance with submission deadlines
- Track, coordinate, and write required grant reports
- Cultivate meaningful and lasting relationships with existing funders
- Identify, qualify, cultivate and steward prospective foundation and government funders
- Collaborate with the Finance Director to develop and review financial reports
- Input and manage all foundation-related information within SPUR’s Salesforce system, including, but not limited to: contact information, cultivation and stewardship activities, important application deadlines and reporting due dates
- Collaborate with Chief Development Officer and CEO to identify key foundation funding opportunities
- Complete all necessary administrative tasks efficiently and on time as assigned, including, but not limited to: organizing and creating data collection systems for writing and reporting purposes, providing monthly grant and contact activity reports and updates, writing thank-you letters, staff notification, contract signing and filing.
- Attend special events as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 4 years grant writing and grants management experience.
- A minimum of four years of mid to upper level grants management and/or contract administration experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional communication skills; oral, written and interpersonal.
- Excellent organization, planning and prioritizing skills and high attention to detail.
- Experienced project manager and executor with proven ability to manage multiple and competing priorities simultaneously and under tight deadlines, ease with collaborating across teams
- Previous experience navigating bureaucratic application and reporting systems
- High degree of discretion and excellent judgment.
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, etc.; quick study and ability to navigate various data management systems and reporting tools.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is to be determined depending upon experience. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a rich package of health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance program (EAP), 25% retirement contribution matching, and monthly transit pass.
Applicants should email a cover letter explaining their interest in SPUR and this position, plus a resume and 1-page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and, skills required of personnel so assigned.
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.