Rockwood supports leaders to transform themselves, their communities, and the world towards equity, liberation, and sustainability for all. We do this by providing powerful and effective training to individual leaders and cohorts, thereby strengthening the organizations and movements that they represent.
Rockwood does not do business as usual. Our commitment to values influences every aspect of our organization—what we do and how we do it. Rockwood’s core values include:
- Trust and integrity
- Love, laughter, and holding each other in community
- Healing, sustainability, and self-care
Grants Manager—Writing and Administration
With a vision of Open Access to bring transformative leadership development to new and broader audiences, Rockwood is seeking a development writer to manage grants and help generate new opportunities. You’ll implement grant writing and administration, and coordinate relationships with current and new funders to advance Rockwood’s vision.
This is an opportunity to join a non-traditional development team. Given our revenue is approximately 50% earned (fee-for-service trainings and contracts) and 50% contributed (grants and donations), the Resource team conducts business development contracting alongside the philanthropy work of grant writing and administration. Our team focuses on relationships and high standards of excellence. We take the time to build relationships internally and externally. We also move at a fast pace and place a high value on timely responsiveness and thorough tracking of details and deadlines.
Our ideal candidate loves to write, has direct experience in fundraising, and is an excellent administrator.
What You’ll Do
Grant Writing, Administration, and Management
- Drive the production, planning, writing, and delivery of Rockwood concept papers, proposals, and reports in partnership with Resource, Program, and Finance teams.
- Become knowledgeable to represent Rockwood through written and verbal communications.
- Write compelling impact and case statements.
- Oversee grant renewal schedules and processes to continue and expand funding from current foundations.
- Primary liaison with program team to gather impact and evaluation data for proposals and reports.
- Primary liaison with finance team for foundation income forecasting and budgets for proposals and reports.
- Manage proposal and reporting calendars.
- Maintain administrative and filing systems for grants and donations, produce acknowledgement letters.
- Maintain Salesforce database.
- Write and direct campaigns for individual donor appeals.
- Participate in other Resource team functions as needed, in a changing and flexible team environment.
- Establish and maintain relationships with funders and donors, tracking all engagement in Salesforce.
- Ensure receipt, acknowledgement, reporting, and stewardship of communications.
- Prepare briefings for meetings, and track notes and next steps.
- Stay current on trends in fundraising, philanthropy, and foundations related to leadership development and other potential opportunities for Rockwood.
- Research fundraising prospects, and partner with the team to build and maintain a pipeline of prospects.
- Analyze leads and contact data, track all engagement information in Salesforce, and prepare reports.
Who You Are
- A self-aware and self-reflective fundraiser—you have a passion for resource development and are comfortable with your own relationship to money.
- A self-motivated professional who produces excellent results, while managing multiple projects on deadline.
- A persuasive and skilled writer who finds joy in producing impeccable documents.
- An adaptable partner—you are a thorough, responsive, and reliable member of the team.
- An excellent administrator—you love databases, calendars, task lists, and tracking systems.
- An optimistic and positive team member, with a good sense of humor.
What You’ll Need
- 2-3 years of experience in fundraising or supporting the development department of a small to medium-sized nonprofit organization. Direct experience in grant writing and/or grants administration required.
- Familiarity with standard methods of foundation solicitation and cultivation.
- Demonstrated ability to produce successful case statements and proposals.
- Exceptional writing skills—you’ll be able to translate impact into compelling and concise language.
- Impeccable editing and proofing skills—you won’t have any mistakes on your resume or cover letter, and you’ll know why that matters.
- Ability to track details—you have a system of managing tasks and future follow-up.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, meet multiple deadlines, and perform under pressure.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Salesforce or other CRM database, as well as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Desire to work within a very diverse workplace and relate to a broad spectrum of people outside of Rockwood.
Please submit a letter describing your interest in this position, a brief professional writing sample that speaks to the skills required, and your resume to [email protected]. We are conducting a rolling review of all applications, and this position will remain open until filled. As of June 24, 2019, the position is open.
The salary for this position is $65,000. Rockwood offers a 32-hour full-time Monday - Thursday workweek and a competitive benefits package. This position is located at Rockwood’s main office in downtown Oakland, CA.
Rockwood Leadership Institute is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. In accordance with applicable law, Rockwood prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local laws.
People of color, people of all gender identities, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this job description. We’re looking forward to getting to know you.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with