The Public Welfare Foundation, a private, national grantmaking foundation with assets of approximately $500 million based in Washington, DC, is seeking a Grants Manager to lead its grantmaking process. As Grants Manager, you will report to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, but also work closely with the President & CEO and program staff.
The Public Welfare Foundation supports efforts to advance justice and opportunity for people in need. These efforts honor the Foundation’s core values of racial equity, economic well-being and fundamental fairness for all. The Foundation looks for strategic points where its funds can make a significant difference and improve lives through policy and system reform that results in transformative change. In its 70-year history, the Foundation has distributed more than $570 million in grants to more than 4,800 organizations. With current assets of approximately $500 million, Public Welfare makes grants nationwide and focuses its grant making in some difficult, and often overlooked, social justice areas where it believes it can serve as a catalyst for reform. Its main programs are Criminal Justice, Youth Justice, and Workers’ Rights. For more information, please visit our web site at www.publicwelfare.org.
About The Position
As Grants Manager, you will lead all aspects of grant administration, including maintaining the grants management database. In addition, you will be responsible for managing the Foundation’s relationship with its IT vendor and the coordination of IT planning and policy.
Your primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Managing the entire grant administrative process from the initial application to the closing of the grant, ensuring compliance with legal requirements, accounting standards and Foundation requirements for all grants;
- Implementing and maintaining the grants management database, Foundant;
- Preparing monthly and year-end financial and grant approval reports for program and cash flow/budget planning purposes;
- Managing the Foundation’s relationship with its IT vendor, including annual budget planning and supervision of project implementation for IT capital projects regarding software/hardware modifications and audio/visual needs.
Additional skills and qualities we seek in an ideal candidate are:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years relevant experience in a not-for-profit environment which would include: hands-on experience with fundraising or grantmaking; managing and maintaining a database and report generation; project management.
- Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, and databases (grants management software desirable).
- Working knowledge or ability to learn the basics of IT network management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and attention to detail.
- Solid managerial skills; creativity and innovation in solving problems.
- Ability to work independently and adaptable to change.
We are an equal opportunity employer with competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Human Resources, Public Welfare Foundation, 1200 U Street NW, Washington, DC 20009. Applications are to be submitted via email only: email@example.com.