Cal Wellness seeks an experienced Grants Manager to support the Director of Grants Management. This role has the primary responsibility of ensuring the successful administration of grants, including workflow processes, policies and procedures, data collection and reporting. The position requires dedication to accuracy and compliance, as well as the ability to envision, recommend, and implement process improvements. The grants management team oversees all compliance, analysis, and procedural aspects of grantmaking. The Grants Manager will be expected to lead efforts to build on the recent implementation of the foundationCONNECT grants management system by developing streamlined workflows, enhancing data reporting, and strengthening organizational performance. The Grants Manager will partner with the grant administrators and members of the Programs team to support efficient and effective grantmaking operations at the foundation.
- Play a key support role to the Director of Grants Management in the administration of the grants management database; Board support initiatives, including docket materials and reports; creation of templates; management of internal controls and quality of data; and ensuring the accurate and efficient reporting of grants information.
- Design, implement, and monitor grants management workflow processes and procedures.
- Lead continual improvement efforts.
- Ensure legal compliance of all grants.
- Develop, write, maintain, and implement all grants management policies and procedures.
- Responds to grant data requests and inquiries from internal and external audiences, including preparation of data analysis and generation of reports.
- Manage the development and implementation of staff trainings for all grantmaking processes and the grants management database.
- Ensure accurate data entry in foundationCONNECT and electronic records that meet foundation, legal, and audit requirements.
- Liaise between the Program, Finance, IT, and Public Affairs teams to ensure that all activities related to grant data collection and reporting are efficiently implemented.
- Support and offer guidance to the Grants Management Administrators in the administration of all discretionary and matching gift grants.
- Confirm the proper approval and documentation for all grant payments.
- Participate in program team meetings to share Grants Management updates, as needed.
- Anticipate the needs or upcoming grantmaking activities within the Programs department and grantmakers that may require additional grants management learning or support.
- Provide technical assistance to grant applicants and grantees in the use of our application and reporting systems.
- Manage the foundation’s Conflict of Interest policy and procedures.
- Oversee the pipeline management of all program budgets.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of mid-to-high level grants management experience.
- Experience leading groups in multifaceted projects and/or change efforts.
- Knowledge in current IRS regulations related to private foundations and due diligence processes.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to relate effectively to potential grantees and other non-profit professionals, staff, trustees and consultants.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Proficiency in data analysis and data visualization.
- Experience with data entry and database management (foundationCONNECT/Salesforce a plus).
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment or individually.
- Effective project management and customer service skills, with the ability to oversee and prioritize multiple projects and effectively manage workflow to meet deadlines.
- Ability to respond quickly to immediate needs.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Professional demeanor that demonstrates warmth, dependability, responsiveness, knowledge and credibility.
- Handles deadlines and pressure with poise; and responds with grace and flexibility in a rapidly changing environment.
Occasional domestic travel, primarily between foundation offices in Los Angeles and Oakland, California and other meetings/conferences.
- The ideal candidate will embody Cal Wellness’ core competencies:
- Live our Core Values: Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Equity, Stewardship, Excellence, Learning, and Trust.
- Drive Towards Innovation: Be bold. Experiment and learn from both successes and failures.
- Make a Difference: Yes, we can. Own our responsibilities and our ability to make positive change.
- Contribute to One Team: We’re in this together. Our success is a collective effort.
- Show Courage: Be thoughtful but act on your convictions. Be open to feedback.
The California Wellness Foundation
The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to protect and improve the health and wellness of the people of California. As one of the largest health-focused foundations in California, with more than $900 million in assets, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees; public policy grantmaking; and a focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. The Foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes three interrelated portfolios: Bridging the Gaps in Access and Quality Care, Promoting Healthy and Safe Neighborhoods, and Expanding Education and Employment Pathways. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion. Its annual operating budget is approximately $13M, and its annual grantmaking is approximately $35M.
As the Foundation looks to the future, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies beyond its core grantmaking to advance its mission, including implementation of new technology systems, development of its public affairs capacity, and establishing mission- and program-related investment portfolios.
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff of approximately 40 located in our Los Angeles and Oakland offices and a diverse 11-member Board located throughout the state of California. The Foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment and safety.
Please visit calwellness.org for more information.
For this position, the selected candidates starting salary may range from $85,000 to $102,000, commensurate with skills and experience. Highlights from our benefit package include: a variety of health plans, a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid time off, professional development and educational opportunities, matching gifts, and the opportunity to work at a mission and values driven organization.
Applications will be accepted from November 1, 2019 through November 30, 2019. Please upload your resume and letter of interest by November 30th! Apply link here:
If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in our application process, please let us know.
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with