Wellspring Advisors, a private philanthropic consulting firm, with offices in both New York and Washington, DC, seeks a Grants Management Associate for its Washington, DC office.
The Grants Management Associate will work under the direction of the Grants Manager and will be front-line provider of the grants management function in support of a selection of programs areas that require special knowledge including: an understanding of OFAC regulations; the ability to structure expenditure responsibility grants with low-capacity foreign grantees that need a fair amount of guidance; and evaluating domestic grants that require sensitivity to US Treasury rules concerning lobbying and maintenance of strict non-partisanship in civic engagement activities.
The Grants Management Associate will be expected to support four programs working on a variety of domestic and international issues.
- Front line responsibility for grant-related information management, both in the grants management database (GivingData), electronic filing system and intranet.
- Coordinate with assigned program staff on grant and budget planning throughout the year, with responsibility for assigning proposal review deadlines and confirming accuracy of grant entries in the grants management database for items such as project purpose and projected grant amount, payment disbursement dates, etc.
- Confirming grant applicant legal status and appropriate grant structure prior to inviting applications.
- Invite applications for funding on behalf of the program staff, communicating all necessary requirements and deadlines to the applicant.
- Receive, file and review all grant applications for completeness and adherence to legal requirements and internal grantmaking guidelines, for both domestic and international grants, including:
- Reviewing proposed projects for compliance with such areas as lobbying restrictions and OFAC regulations
- Conducting due diligence reviews of applicants’ organizational and financial capacity.
- Managing communication with grantees regarding grant materials: missing application items, budget issues, etc., as well as answering questions about the application/grantmaking process.
- Assist in preparing docket presentations to staff and clients.
- Prepare reports on grantmaking activity, as requested.
- Answer questions about the firm’s grantmaking process and compliance needs from Program staff and leadership, as well as grantees, potential grantees and other external partners.
- Assist in training staff and grantees as needed on technology or policy issues and procedure changes that affect them.
- Work with Grants Management department on implementation of the department’s strategic plan, including technology and process enhancement.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- College degree or relevant experience; minimum three years work experience within the non-profit/philanthropy sector, (preferably in a grants management function).
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to relate effectively to potential grantees and other non-profit professionals, staff, trustees and consultants.
- Pleasant and supportive phone and interpersonal manner, customer service-oriented work philosophy.
- Strong computer skills, including proficient use of the Microsoft Office Suite and experience with database and Internet applications (experience with grants management systems strongly preferred).
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and follow through to effectively manage work and meet multiple tight deadlines.
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Strong research and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
- Passion for promoting social and economic justice.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment.
- Positive attitude, sense of humor and a commitment to being part of an energetic, demanding work environment.
- Knowledge of IRS private foundation and public charity rules. Experience with international grantmaking, including expenditure responsibility and OFAC compliance requirements.
SALARY and Benefits
Salary range: $60,000-$70,000 based on experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners and qualified family members. Wellspring also offers life insurance, long-term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan and is committed to providing transgender-inclusive healthcare.
About Wellspring Advisors, LLC
Established in 2001, Wellspring is a private philanthropic consulting firm that coordinates grantmaking programs that advance the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC.
Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
- Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
- The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
- Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
- As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
Wellspring’s services include: working with donors to develop, implement and administer giving programs that meet their philanthropic goals; conducting research and education tailored to the interests of our donors; managing programs, administering grants and monitoring grantee performance; and working to promote the effectiveness of programs that receive Wellspring funding.
Wellspring Advisors, LLC, hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Firm’s service needs and business requirements. Wellspring welcomes candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and strongly encourages people of color to apply
All personnel decisions are made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (each a “protected characteristic”). This policy applies to all our activities, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge. This policy also bans discriminatory harassment. Qualified candidates for employment having records of arrest or criminal conviction will be considered.
How to Apply:
For employment consideration, please submit application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject Line: “[Your name]— Grants Management Associate - DC.” All applications must include:
- a resumé
- a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity (i.e., job portal, referral, etc), and
- your salary requirements.
The application deadline September 20, 2017.