For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
RAN seeks a talented and strategic Grants Coordinator with strong writing & editing, project management, and communications skills, who is able to work both independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced fundraising environment. Reporting to the Foundations Director, the Grants Coordinator will play a key role on the three-person Foundations team in RAN’s growing seven-person Development Department. The Grants Coordinator will coordinate deliverables and communication for RAN’s 30+ institutional funders, supporting an annual $3.7M foundation revenue goal out of an $8M annual fundraising budget.
Grant Writing and Project Management
- Under the supervision of the Foundations Director, write and edit content for proposal and report submissions to foundations, ensuring high-quality and timely submissions.
- Follow all grant reporting and proposal guidelines to highest standards to ensure all submissions are accurate, properly formatted and include all required information, including supplementary budgets and materials.
- Coordinate, collect and manage/facilitate program leadership input for grant-related content, information and deliverables.
- Collaborate with Finance Department and Foundations Director on all report and proposal budgets and expense reporting.
- Oversee submission of all grant deliverables; coordinate plans for appropriate director to submit and provide all required materials.
- Track and project manage upcoming proposals and reports using tools approved by Foundations Director (Raiser’s Edge, Google Sheets, etc.).
Grant Administration and Foundations Coordination
- Work with Development Assistant to ensure grant agreements and gifts are tracked and hard filed in Development and Finance.
- Coordinate with the Development Assistant to ensure up-to-date grant financial information in Raiser’s Edge and cross-reference with finance and Foundations Director to ensure accuracy.
- In coordination with Development Assistant, track, manage and update relationship management and proposal/ Letter of Inquiry (LOI) submissions in Raiser’s Edge to ensure real-time accuracy of database and project management materials.
- Provide research and communications support to Foundations Director and work with Foundations Director and program directors to develop and carry out cultivation and stewardship strategies.
Administrative and Department Support
- Support Foundations Director in Foundations meeting planning and logistics.
- Support RAN’s development team, including participation in mailings and volunteering at special events.
- Participate in RAN’s organizational planning and racial justice initiatives and training sessions.
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- Participate in and share facilitation duties in team and staff meetings.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write and edit strategically, while maintaining a sharp eye to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated project management skills, with the ability to manage oneself and “manage up” across teams towards multiple funder deadlines using project management tools.
- Ability to work under competing deadlines, while maintaining an adaptable and professional attitude.
- Experience working in Raiser’s Edge or Customer Relationship Management database a plus.
- Experience working with funder/grant budgets, expense reports and other financial materials a plus.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a full-time position located in San Francisco. Salary is in the mid to high 50K range, with the final offer being based on candidate’s overall experience and qualifications. RAN offers excellent benefits, which include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer-funded HSA, vision & dental insurance, pro-rated 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match after first 6 months. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3-month fully-paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly with the link below and include a 1-2 page grant or other writing sample as attachment (excerpt, recent memo, letter). Applications without writing samples will not be reviewed.