The Sobrato Family is committed to building a strong and vibrant Silicon Valley community through business and philanthropic leadership. The mission of the Sobrato Family Foundation is to support low-income residents in Silicon Valley who seek stability and opportunities for upward mobility.
Inequality of opportunity in Silicon Valley continues to grow, leaving Silicon Valley residents more vulnerable to poverty and declining economic status. The Sobrato family believes that it is uniquely positioned to address these challenges by providing families with the critical services they need to survive through its Essential Human Services program, ensuring families are on a path to self-sufficiency through its Pathways for Success program, and investing in future generations so they achieve upward mobility through its Education program. The Foundation invests directly in the region’s nonprofits by providing in-kind office and meeting space through its Sobrato Center for Nonprofits program. The family understands the role it must play as a leader on critical issues facing residents by acting as a voice for increased investment in this region. Stemming from its experience incubating and launching the Sobrato Early Academic Language (SEAL) model, The Sobrato Family Foundation also invests in statewide efforts to center English Learners in California education.
About the Position:
The Grants Associate supports grant application processes, compliance, reporting and disbursements. The Grants Associate responds to inquiries regarding the grant application process; reviews funding requests and outcomes reports for compliance; organizes and maintains accurate electronic filing systems, supports day-to-day management of the grants management database; and runs reports relevant to ensure funding decisions are made with correct and thorough information. This person must be exceedingly detail oriented, adept with MS Office Suite, and enjoy the challenges of a growing organization and juggling multiple priorities. The ideal candidate will have the ability to interact with colleagues in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism.
- Support grant cycle fiscal reviews, charity checks, award packets, monitoring reporting, and ensuring disbursements are properly made.
- Support review of documents pertaining to the grant approval process to ensure completeness and compliance with relevant regulations.
- Provide technical support to staff and grantees related to Fluxx.
- Assist the Grants Manager in compiling and preparing data for grant evaluation and reporting, including receiving and organizing data from grantees and other sources, checking and entering data, and updating and maintaining databases.
- Perform monthly reconciliations between Fluxx and Yardi software systems. Research and report on variances and discrepancies as needed.
- Support nonprofit center and finance teams with in-kind values and leasing process, as needed.
- Utilize strong analytical skills to prepare reports, presentations, and other documents as necessary with meticulous attention to detail.
- Support logistics around grant reviews, including site visit scheduling, as needed.
- Process and track unsolicited grant inquiries and manage the Foundation’s response to organizations.
- Assist program officers to pull Fluxx data for grant summaries and memos.
- Serve as frontline contact for Foundation on select grant applications; respond to inquiries, both written and oral, regarding eligibility requirements, the grant application and reporting procedures; provide excellent customer service.
- Support the Grant Manager’s efforts for implementing and maintaining standardization and norms for grantmaking processes.
- Work in conjunction with colleagues to provide general administrative and clerical support to ensure the efficient operation of Foundation grants management.
- Execute special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Recording notes for range of internal/external meetings.
- Support website administration, including updating grants data and related content.
Qualifications and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 3 years relevant work experience.
- Ability to manage relationships and provide project management support across multiple teams.
- Non-profit experience a plus, but propensity toward philanthropy a must.
- Must enjoy working in an administrative or support role.
- Excellent Mac skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office 365. Superior skills preparing Excel-based reports.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Task-oriented with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks independently, effectively managing shifting priorities and time-sensitive projects to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including competent proof-reading and error-checking, and polished interpersonal skills to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Experience with grants processing and Fluxx grant management software a plus.
- Ability to prepare complex tables, forms, reports and presentation materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group and maintain a high standard of professional and ethical conducts.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, prioritize and problem solve with minimal supervision.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Highly competitive benefits package
- Full-time, exempt position
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Sobrato Organization is an equal opportunity employer, welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. TSO's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.