About Democracy Fund
Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $70 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C.
Learn more about Democracy Fund and our sister 501(c)(4) organization Democracy Fund Voice by visiting www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
The Democracy Fund is seeking an enthusiastic and highly organized Grants Associate to support the Fund’s investment processes and manage the Fund’s online grants management system. As Democracy Fund continues to grow, we are looking for a tech-savvy team player to provide a seamless grants management experience to staff and grantees, help scale grantmaking operations, and analyze grantmaking data to help the Fund learn and make better informed decisions. The Grants Associate will coordinate and administer our overall grants process, and collaborate with staff across the organization to improve its effectiveness and efficiency. Every grant the Democracy Fund awards goes through the Grants Associate – and thus they are a central part of helping making our democracy work better every day.
The ideal candidate will have experience in philanthropy and working in Fluxx, and enjoy reviewing due diligence and structuring grants, administering data systems, and developing data visualizations and dashboards. The Associate will join a growing Operations team, playing a critical role in developing systems and processes that help staff and grantee partners thrive. The Associate will report to the Director of Grants Management.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Grantmaking Systems, Processes and Data
- Supporting the Fund’s Program teams, internal grant committees, and Strategy Council by monitoring the pipeline of grant opportunities, compiling materials for and monitoring follow up from grant review meetings, and and managing the committees’ schedules
- Reviewing grant application materials and coaching program staff on improvements related to grant structure, compliance, and risk management
- Managing Fluxx, the Fund’s grants management software, including maintaining integrity of data, serving as the first point of contact for staff and grantees who need support on using the system, managing upgrades, and managing data reporting from the system
- Partnering with the Director to create and maintain documentation of all grant processes and policies
- Conducting and documenting initial legal due diligence for all grants and sponsorships and monitor legal issues throughout process in partnership with the Senior Counsel and Director
- Assisting with preparation and disbursement of grant and sponsorship agreements and amendments
- Coordinating with program staff to manage electronic files related to all aspects of the grants cycle, and maintaining hard copy files of key grants-related documents
Grantmaking Learning and Analysis
- Partnering with the program and internal learning teams to maintain a system for collecting, tracking, and utilizing grantee reports, and creating opportunities to learn from investment decisions
- Compiling and analyzing grant and portfolio data that can be used for internal portfolio reviews, board meetings, and the Fund’s annual tax return and audit
- Supporting the development of training materials and logistics of workshops on grant making and philanthropy topics, and supporting orientations on grants for all new staff
- Keeping informed of the best practices in the grants management field, sharing findings with the broader team, and recommending improvements to the grants management process
- Actively working to support other members of the Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative and supportive
- Completing other special grantmaking projects and duties, as requested by Director
- Collaborating internally to advance Democracy Fund strategy and mission
- Representing the Democracy Fund in a manner that is consistent with our mission
In addition to the responsibilities above, the Grants Management Associate will also support the processing of grants for Democracy Fund Voice, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization.
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
- Passion for strengthening American democracy
- 3-5 years of relevant experience with knowledge of investing or grantmaking from philanthropy, nonprofit foundation relations, or private investment; knowledge of private foundation legal issues desired
- Exceptional customer service, problem-solving, project management, and analytical skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; and a meticulous attention to detail
- Familiarity and comfort with grants management databases, including making fixes and upgrades as a systems administrator (knowledge of Fluxx strongly desired)
- High level of computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Excel; quick learner with new software systems
- Strong data analysis skills with experience in data visualization and providing staff with data reports
- Commitment to learn and grow in a workplace that values diversity of multiple dimensions
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels to execute duties, and proven talent in ensuring positive, proactive, responsive relationships within and across departments for compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and support multiple grantmaking functions simultaneously while exhibiting excellent time-management skills; ability to meet deadlines
- Professional maturity, ability to exercise discretion, and good judgment
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage ambiguity in a growing organization, while helping the organization build and maintain structures for consistency
- Bachelor's degree required (or equivalent experience)
- Position is based in Washington, DC.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume at https://democracyfund.applytojob.com/apply/VndXJAC5Jy/Grants-Associate. No calls please.
The Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. The Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.