Position Title: GRANTS ASSISTANT
Location: Oakland, CA
Employment Status: Full-Time, 40 hours per week
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation is a private family foundation dedicated to enhancing quality of life by championing and sustaining the arts, promoting early childhood education, and supporting research to cure chronic disease. We believe that people trying to affect change need an early champion. Like our founder, we listen to and invest in innovative and collaborative projects, because, with our support, real breakthroughs make like better for us all. The Foundation’s three areas of focus include the arts, early childhood education, and scientific research into causes and treatment options for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
Under the direction of the Grants Manager, the Grants Assistant supports the efficiency of grants administration processes and systems for multiple departments, grantees and applicants. The Grants Assistant will provide administrative assistance during various stages of the grants life cycle. As a point of contact for grant-related information, the Grants Assistant will be familiar with each of the Foundation’s funding areas as well as best practices in grant making and legal compliance.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- · Schedule, publish and track interim and final grant reports in the Foundation’s online grants management system (GMS).
- · Generate access of required grant report(s) to grantees and send notification emails.
- · Retrieve interim and final reports from the GMS and prepare electronic files for Programs Staff review.
- · Send declination emails to applicants.
- · Prepare FedEx and postal shipment labels for grant checks.
- · Maintain records in the GMS of grant payments issued.
Compliance and Due Diligence
- · Maintain the integrity of the GMS by ensuring data is complete, updated and accurate.
- · Create hard copy file folders of approved grants and ensure file checklist content is complete and accurate.
- · Maintain hard copy and electronic grant files.
Grant Strategy & Evaluation
- · Provide general and ad hoc reports of grant-related information as requested by staff.
- · Conduct grants management related research when necessary.
- · Special projects as they arise from within or outside of department.
- · Assist in the preparation of materials needed for Board Dockets.
- · Provide technical support to grantees in registering and accessing account via the Foundation’s GMS.
- · Communicate with grant software vendor to trouble-shoot and resolve technical issues.
- · Actively participate in and seek developer provided training for GMS to remain thoroughly knowledgeable of system’s functionality and how to utilize features to generate request deliverables.
Experience and Qualifications:
- · Minimum of two years of foundation work experience within a grants administration or closely related department (such as Finance, Development or Programs) is highly preferred.
- · Experience in working with an online grants management system is highly preferred with preference given to applicants with direct experience utilizing GIFTS Online.
- · At least one year of experience in database maintenance/management is preferred.
- · Unwavering commitment to follow processes and practices to ensure IRS/legal compliancy for foundation grant making; commitment to remaining knowledgeable of compliance updates.
- · Exceptional project management skills are a must; demonstrated ability to take ownership of projects from conception to fruition with continuous follow up to ensure project completion within specified time parameters.
- · Excellent interpersonal skills that allow for effective relationships in a diverse environment.
- · Proactive work ethic with the ability to anticipate needs of colleagues and take appropriate actions.
- · Ability to work in a multi-issue, fast-paced environment, with the constancy of shifting and competing deadlines; flexibility while maintaining work flow is critical.
- · Ability to analyze situations, solve problems creatively and think strategically.
- · Effective skills in time management with the ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- · Proven ability to produce high quality reports of data or related grant information as well as maintain integrity of data within database; keen attention to detail and accuracy is imperative.
- · Responsive and excellent judgment.
- · Must be independent, strategic, and a creative thinker who is also a strong team player (no job is too small or too big).
- · Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- · Some college preferred.
- · Sense of humor and enthusiasm a must!
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled.
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such complies with federal, state and/or local laws that prohibit discrimination in employment based on race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizen or intending citizen status, disability, and veteran status. Information provided during the application or employment process will not be used to discriminate against any individual in any manner. The Company complies with ADA regulations as applicable.