Who We Are
The de Beaumont Foundation advances policy, builds partnerships, and strengthens public health to create communities where people can achieve their best possible health. Our work centers around three main priority areas:
- Policy: We advance policies that improve community health, so that current and future generations can benefit from changes enacted by today’s leaders.
- Partnerships: We build partnerships, often among unlikely allies, so that leaders can make decisions that achieve their shared goal of creating healthier communities.
- People: We create practical solutions that strengthen the public health system and workforce, so that professionals are equipped to make their communities healthier.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Grants and Operations Associate will serve as an integral member of the operations team using innovative philanthropy that leverages creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship to tackle some of the public health sector’s toughest challenges. Our activities go beyond traditional grantmaking, we use a number of innovative philanthropic tools to build equitable and inclusive communities where every person has the same opportunity to achieve their best possible health. Although privately endowed, the de Beaumont Foundation also serves as a fiscal intermediary for several funding collaboratives, runs its own charitable programs, and raises funds for these programs.
The Grants and Operations Associate will be a core position working to help operationalize the Foundation’s ambitious vision and will have the opportunity to shape the way we approach our systems and enrich our culture.
Position Overview – What You’ll Do
The Grants and Operations Associate will work across the organization to design and implement new systems and processes related to grants and contracts management, manage the award lifecycle, document, validate, aggregate and analyze data, and share learning and best practices. The Grants and Operations Associate will partner with the program team and collaborate closely across administrative functions to facilitate business processes and achieve strategic goals. They will be responsible for a combination of grants management as well as operational, project, and program related duties (see below).
- Function as a primary liaison for grants compliance and management for assigned programs
- Educate and train program staff on grant compliance, reporting, and grant administration requirements and processes
- Prepare appropriate and accurate grant agreements, vendor contracts, and related legal documents from approved templates, draft unique clauses when needed, and coordinate negotiation and signature
- Conduct due diligence and analyze grant proposals and contract requests for compliance with IRS regulations and Foundation policies and standards and work with staff and partners to address areas of risk or concern
- Make recommendations on award structure (e.g. grant type or contract payment terms)
- Work closely with program staff to oversee event contracts, logistics, travel/expense reimbursements and other meeting-related expenses and activities
- Monitor grantee reporting requirements and evaluate grantee narrative and financial reports to ensure administrative and legal compliance with grant terms and conditions; request clarifications or edits as appropriate, and close grants
- Administer the Foundation’s knowledge management systems, including Foundant and others as required
- Assure integrity of data in the grant/contract management system
- Provide reporting and analysis on a regular basis
- Assist with grant and contractor schedules and other annual audit and statutory reporting
- Perform other duties as assigned
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you will excel in these areas:
- Grant Management Expertise: You have a strong foundation in grants management and due diligence. You have a solid understanding of the legal and tax requirements for private foundations and public charities and are comfortable navigating the complexities of grant agreements, compliance, and reporting. Experience with expenditure responsibility awards preferred.
- Systems focused:You have a natural affinity, and skill, for creating frameworks and systems that do not tip-over into bureaucracy and an entrepreneurial spirit which appreciates a strengths-based culture willing to iterate.
- Ownership: You care deeply about doing what it takes to facilitate results, including paying attention to even small details, managing your own projects (or pieces of bigger ones), driving work forward with a sense of urgency, anticipating problems, and course-correcting when needed.
- Team player: You are eager to use your role to advance de Beaumont’s mission, and look for ways to help beyond your own core responsibilities. You are ready and willing to participate in all-hands-on-deck projects, which frequently come up. No job is too small for anyone on our team and your attitude reflects that.
- Relationship management: You have a good sense of how to manage internal relationships with all staff. You know how to handle confidential information, use discretion around what information you share both internally and externally, and routinely apply good judgment as to when to involve the Director of Finance and Operations or Chief Operating Officer in decision-making.
- Attention to detail: You consistently ensure materials and communications are accurate, precise, and completed on time.
- Passion: You have a strong commitment to grant management, finance, and the mission and values of de Beaumont.
- Able to identify issues, propose solutions and follow-up appropriately; proactive
- Demonstrate flexibility, maturity, and ability to work with a team of varying backgrounds and styles
- Able to take specific direction when necessary, along with a high level of independent judgment and initiative. Ability to anticipate supervisors’ needs and creatively address problems with appropriate, timely solutions
- Technologically savvy, database administration and management experience preferred. Experience with Foundant a plus
- Familiar with public charity and private foundation compliance/legal issues. Must learn and retain a strong working knowledge of private foundation and public charity tax rules, foundation policies/standards, processes and systems to make critical decisions regarding grants and contracts
- Makes sound judgment calls and is able to explain reasoning behind decisions
- Determines appropriate people to contact, or steps to take, to resolve issues
- Identifies interconnected factors/elements to address the core of a problem/issue
- Manages time based on workload urgency, complexity, volume, etc.
- Keeps multiple tasks moving simultaneously
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong attention to detail
- Articulates concerns/needs effectively and escalates as appropriate
- Simplifies complex situations in a systematic, logical manner by identifying issues, making comparisons, setting priorities and assessing implications
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; acts with customer in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Innovative and creative; generates and applies new and original ideas, creative approaches, methods and solutions to daily work
- The de Beaumont team is collaborative, passionate, and deeply committed to creating bold solutions for healthier communities.
- This position is full-time and based in downtown Bethesda, MD, just outside of Washington, DC.
- We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a collegial work environment.
- Candidates should send cover letter and resume to Christine Kudrav at [email protected]
The de Beaumont Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Employment opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.