The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
LCV is seeking a Gift Planning Officer to join our robust and talented fundraising team. This new position will grow the planned giving program to help meet our strategic plan fundraising goals. The Gift Planning Officer will identify, cultivate, and track prospects with the capacity and interest in a planned gift to benefit LCV or its sister organization, LCV Education Fund. In coordination with the Senior Director of Development Marketing, the Gift Planning Officer will shape and grow a model for a planned giving program that ensures the longevity of the organizations and supports future programs and strategy.
- Secure new bequest intentions for LCV and LCVEF.
- Manage the John “Jay” Harris Society, ensuring appropriate stewardship with existing planned gift donors and building the reputation of the Society.
- Respond to inquiries by prospective donors in a timely manner via telephone, proposals, and email. Address donor questions and concerns about planned giving.
- Arrange visits with donors and prospects throughout the country to solicit new gifts and to reconfirm commitments.
- Work closely with the major gifts program to recommend cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Upon notification of gift or future gift intention, ensure donors are thanked. Record donor information and update records as needed in appropriate database.
- Ensure appropriate communication with estates.
- Expand portfolio of prospective donors to include more people of color; broaden our current methods of identifying, cultivating and soliciting such donors.
- Educate our current and prospective donors about the racial justice and equity work in which we are engaged.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required - 3-4 years of experience in fundraising, including a successful track record of personally meeting with donors and closing gifts. Experience directly qualifying, cultivating and soliciting donor prospects, including developing solicitation strategy from identification through stewardship. Preferred - Experience with estate planning, planned giving strategies and tax treatments (e.g. trusts, charitable gift annuities, beneficiary designated gifts and life insurance). Issue advocacy, organizing and/or political fundraising experience. Direct response marketing experience.
- Skills: Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; self-motivated; exhibits strong judgment; and able to work independently and as a part of a team. Must be creative, diplomatic, proactive, disciplined, and able to think strategically. An active and curious listener with a knack for building relationships and the ability to speak with authority as an organizational representative. Well organized and detail-oriented. Systems oriented with ability to use and navigate a database.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV and LCV Education Fund.
- Conditions: Must be willing to travel, able to work hours in excess of stated office hours to get the job done, as needed. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Gift Planning Officer” in the subject line by September 17, 2019. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.