The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
The Development department is responsible for all fundraising for the organization. Interns will be exposed to – and build skills in – the various responsibilities of the development team, including prospect research, events and donor cultivation, development marketing, direct donor solicitation, and institutional giving. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in developing nonprofit fundraising and management skills as well as an interest in politics and environmental issues, and environmental justice in particular. The Fundraising & Development Intern will join a cohort of LCV interns. Summer interns participate in brown bag lunches with various members of LCV's senior management team, including President Gene Karpinski.
The official start date of the program is Tuesday, May 28, 2019 and the anticipated end date is early August. If your schedule impedes your ability to start on this date, alternatives can be discussed.
Number of Internships Available: 2
Duration: 10 Weeks - May 28 - August 6, 2019 (start and end dates flexible)
Schedule and Compensation: 40 hours per week; $13.25 per hour
Interns Will Gain Experience in
- Identifying and researching prospective donors, learning giving indicators and writing briefing documents for LCV’s fundraisers prior to donor contact such as meetings, events, and phone calls.
- Systems and technologies that keep a high functioning fundraising department on track, including Salesforce, Civis Analytics, and CVENT.
- How to meet with donors, by phone or in person, to determine if their priorities align with LCV’s mission.
- The basics of LCV’s brand and how we market our mission to attract potential donors, understanding how a marketing piece is produced from start to finish.
- Preparing materials for foundation funders, including grant proposals and reports.
- Special events planning, preparation and implementation, including list management, marketing, and working with vendors.
- Attending and staffing events, including LCV’s Capital Dinner on June 12th.
- Coordinating donor mailings including editing, printing, and assembly.
- Coordinating donor emails including creating email lists, writing and editing copy, scheduling, and sending using Silverpop, our mass email software.
- Providing general office support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have a rich mix of the following:
- Skills: Extremely organized and detail oriented; Effective communicator, both written and oral; Strong research, writing and editing skills; Able to thrive in a fast-paced and flexible environment; Self-starter with a strong work ethic; Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV.
- Conditions: This position is based in Washington, D.C.; Must be available all day on June 12 for LCV’s annual Capital Dinner.
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Development Intern” in the subject line no later than April 19, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with