As San Francisco’s original – and only – wholesale produce market, The SF Market is creating a thriving and sustainable food center that delivers unique value to their customers while giving back to the community and neighborhood.
Their mission is to link the produce and food communities of San Francisco and beyond, by successfully developing and operating the Market. They operate as a nonprofit social enterprise, collaborating with the City of San Francisco, their Merchants and the Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood to curate the area’s widest selection of local, organic, ethnic and conventional produce and to responsibly develop the Market.
The SF Market is a historic legacy business, at its current location since 1963. The SF Market recently transitioned in 2013 to a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is investing in the future by continuing to upgrade the 485,000 square feet of warehouse and logistics space and to increase the impact of their programs, which include creating jobs, supporting local farmers and expanding their food recovery program.
Reporting to the General Manager/Executive Director, the newly created Fund Development Director position will work closely with the Board of Directors and Leadership team at The SF Market. The Fund Development Director will play a role in creating and executing an effective and robust development program, and supporting the Market’s future growth as they begin the next phase of capital expansion with their long-term reinvestment project. Key metrics for success will include funder engagement (number of personal meetings with prospects, funders and volunteers; portfolio development) and revenue (value of unrestricted, restricted and campaign gifts); number of solicitations; and success rate of solicitations. Such metrics will be developed in concert with the General Manager/Executive Director.
The SF Market’s current financial model is built on a strong earned revenue component that will support the multi-phase, multi-year $100 million reinvestment project. They anticipate that this capital raise will initially focus on federal grant opportunities and foundation giving, not on an individual giving program.
They are seeking a creative and motivated candidate with a strong drive to create a successful development program and show funding results. The ideal candidate will bring five or more years of professional experience in starting and/or managing a development program, or equivalent relevant experience in areas such as community, workforce or economic development and affordable housing.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Fund Development Director will be responsible for the following areas:
- Develop and implement the organization’s philanthropic strategies and tactics to advance The SF Market’s strategic vision, plan and programmatic objectives.
- Work directly with the organization’s staff and the board members for the identification, cultivation and stewardship of new funder prospects and collaborate with the General Manager/Executive Director and the Board of Directors to ensure excellence in the cultivation and stewardship of existing major funders.
- Ensure that all aspects of the development program run efficiently and effectively.
- Work closely with volunteers and key staff to meet, if not surpass, revenue expectations. Work hand-in-hand with a highly engaged General Manager/Executive Director on cultivation and solicitation of funders.
- Develop and monitor an ambitious, comprehensive and actionable development plan, including strategy and campaigns that incorporate corporate relations and foundation support, and eventually an individual giving program.
- Identify partnership and funding opportunities and promote relationship building among The SF Market and other organizations, funders, agencies and/or individuals. Requires cultivating and maintaining several external relationships representing The SF Market in fund-related meetings and gatherings.
- Research grant opportunities in response to foundation and government announcements and develop grant applications and reports through collaborative writing and editing. Responsible for hands-on grant research and writing and/or manage grant writing consultants.
- Working with the Leadership team, develop and direct the SF Market communications strategy, manage a Communication & Social Media Associate and oversee funding communications.
- Work closely with Program Manager to craft and track impact metrics for development and communication needs.
- Prepare Annual Report and quarterly progress reports for Executive team and Board.
- Provide input to management regarding effectiveness of the fundraising activities.
- Oversee funding consultants and their work.
- Achieve a minimum goal of $250,000 in revenue for the first year.
- Create and execute an annual fundraising plan.
- Grow strategies to increase support from corporations, foundations and government support and to attract new sponsors.
- Direct the giving strategies and execution for fundraising events and funder appreciation events.
- Prepare and support the General Manager/Executive Director with effective communications with all development stakeholders.
- Facilitate the Board Development Committee meetings.
- Serve as an articulate, enthusiastic and visible spokesperson for the organization to effectively communicate the organization’s major fundraising goals and create a strong institutional culture of philanthropy.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on pipeline, successes, failures, and major initiatives.
- Implement any other related duties as required or requested
- Eight to 10 plus years of significant nonprofit fundraising in an organization that has a reputation for strategic thinking, organizational excellence and aggressive action.
- Three to five years of development management experience, preferably as a Chief Development Officer, Vice President of Development or Director of Development at another organization.
- Five plus years of experience in funder cultivation and solicitation. Proven track record of building funder relationships and closing gifts in the five- and six-figure range, as well as the ability to solicit and close large gifts.
- Proven track record of consistent sustainable revenue growth from foundations, government grants and corporate donations.
- Organized and flexible, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A strong desire to forge and maintain long-term relationships, with team members, board members, funders and supporters.
- Proven abilities in working with a diverse Board of Directors – particularly in strategic planning, fundraising, board development, board committees, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Ability to prioritize, follow through and complete tasks.
- Ability to persuade and motivate others and to gain the respect and attention of the Board leadership and influential volunteers.
- Experience in working with active volunteers a plus.
- Experience with accomplishments in business, public sector or nonprofit philanthropy.
- Background in the field of real estate, food systems and/or public/private partnerships a plus.
- Ability to work flexible hours including some early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Comfortable working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
The Fund Development Director should embody the following personal characteristics:
- Sensitivity to and a strong commitment to the mission and vision of The SF Market.
- A demonstrated dedication to, or experience in, the food systems world.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Proactive, positive attitude. Mission-driven and self-directed.
- Ability to connect with diverse audiences.
- Excellent communicator with all people at every level.
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities. Solid judgment and consensus building skills. Flexibility.
- Ability to take leadership of projects and move them forward in the absence of specific direction from others.
- Charisma as a leader and spokesperson.
- Very effective decision maker.
- Visionary and inspiring.
- Strong facilitator and consulting skills.
- Initiative, creativity, drive and energy.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent follow through.
- Diplomacy and tact.
- Superb interpersonal skills.
- Tolerance for ambiguity.
- Ability to think analytically.
- Ability to be both strategic and hands-on when necessary.
- High ethical standards. Serve the organization over personal ambition. Exemplary character.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is preferred.
Scott E. Miller
Direct: (415) 613-1354
Scott Miller Executive Search
1231 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
A competitive compensation package will be offered based upon background and experience.
The SF Market is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, height and weight, or other personal characteristics as may be protected by applicable law. All inquiries are held in strict confidence.