Anti poverty programs in the United States provide critical, but insufficient, support to families with low incomes. Income-based programs provide families with only enough resources to meet day-to-day expenses. If we are to end poverty and narrow gender and racial wealth gaps in our communities, we must do more than provide money to live by. Instead, we must support families to grow the financial assets and capabilities needed to achieve the goals and dreams they live for.
As a Financial Coaching Manager at Compass Working Capital, you’ll share our unwavering belief in people’s ability to achieve their goals and dreams. By overseeing a team of Financial Coaches, you’ll promote high quality experiences for clients and help track progress towards key team metrics.
This is a unique role because you will both serve as a manager of coaches and also as a financial coach during a portion of each workday. As a manager, you’ll serve as a solutions-oriented mentor and collaborator providing Financial Coaches with the tactics and encouragement they need to perform at their best each day. As a coach, you’ll have the chance to work directly with clients to reach their goals, chart pathways to goal attainment, and promote access to financial education and asset-building opportunities. Beyond sharing financial tips and strategies, you’ll connect clients with a unique opportunity to build savings. Over the past ten years, our clients have built over $6 million in savings through participation in our flagship program.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You’ll be a wonderful addition to our team if you have a passion for team-based management, leadership, and service, and are energized by the opportunity to help others work step-by-step to achieve life-changing goals. Prior experience as a financial coach and a team leader is required. We look forward to receiving applications from candidates who have had formal experience leading teams as well as from those who have led volunteer or community groups during their free time.
As Financial Coaching Manager, you will mentor, supervise, and invest in the growth of the coaching team in service of our clients. Your core work is to provide oversight of and be accountable for the coaching team’s outcomes and performance.
Financial Coaching Managers will oversee a team of 3-4 Financial Coaches and work with between 60 and 80 clients to meet the graduation requirements of the federal Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program. FSS is a five year program through which clients work closely with their coaches to grow their financial assets and achieve their personal and professional goals.
We’re hiring a cohort of 3 to 4 Financial Coaching Managers this year and each will receive onboarding and job training. This includes ongoing support from Program Managers, the Director of Programs and Compass’ Chief Program Officer.
Please be sure to apply if it’s your ambition to be a strong advocate for the success of your team while also serving as a financial coach to families with low incomes.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
The key responsibilities of this position include:
- Oversee and support your cohort of Financial Coaches to achieve goals in partnership with clients
- Partner with the Program team at Compass to ensure you and your team are on track to achieve key performance objectives
- Provide customized in person or phone-based one-on-one financial coaching sessions focused on: income growth, credit, debt, savings, and long-term asset building
- Serve as a partner and champion as clients set goals and define action plans to achieve short and long-term objectives
- Identify and connect clients with resources to help meet short-term needs and enable progress towards their long-term goals
- Maintain required records and documentation in a timely manner and in compliance with the organization’s data privacy policies
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR: BECOMING A FINANCIAL COACHING MANAGER
It takes a special person to serve as a Financial Coaching Manager at Compass Working Capital. You’ll be tackling one of our nation’s greatest challenges, at a personal level, by partnering with members of the community to reach across the opportunity gap that often perpetuates cycles of generational poverty — particularly for women of color.
We seek candidates with previous experience in and a passion for managing people and leading teams. We’ll be most excited about your candidacy if you can demonstrate prior success delivering results through others within work or direct-service volunteer settings. We are also seeking candidates with prior experience providing financial coaching to individuals.
WHAT YOU’VE ALREADY DONE
We do not expect candidates to meet all of the criteria listed below. Reviewing the qualifications can help you to better understand the expectations of this role.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Experience working or volunteering with individuals and/or families with low incomes
- Passion for impacting the lives of others
- Experience supervising, training and/or mentoring others to achieve challenging goals either within a professional or volunteer setting
- Dedication to working across teams and perspectives towards shared goals and outcomes
- Comfort and experience working with computers, software applications and databases such as SalesForce
- Ability to solicit, receive and grow from both positive and adjusting feedback
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to build high quality connections with colleagues and community members
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to advocate for your point of view and to influence others
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize competing priorities in ways that advance high quality outcomes
We are excited to receive applications from candidates who are proficient in more than one language. In particular, we are looking for Financial Coaching Managers who speak Haitian-Creole, Amharic, or Spanish.
This position is based in Boston, MA, or can be remote with travel to the Boston office on occasion, and will be supporting clients in our New England programs. To accommodate the needs of our clients, some evening and weekend hours will be required.
WHAT WE OFFER
We’ll promote your professional growth and development by providing access to:
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
- Two months of on the job training and the opportunity to obtain advanced certification in the financial coaching field.
- Additional employee benefits include:
- Healthcare: medical, dental, vision
- Retirement plan 401(k) & match
- Life insurance & disability Insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Professional development & certification
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Discounted shopping and entertainment
- Voluntary pet insurance and more
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their application through our online portal. Applications will be evaluated and offers extended for four financial coaches based in Boston, MA. Candidates who receive offers will have the opportunity to choose between start dates in July and September 2020 with first priority given to those who apply first.
All applicants will receive a response to their application within two weeks of submission. Please email email@example.com with questions or for support submitting your application.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Compass Working Capital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions, without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Compass Working Capital is committed to ensuring individuals with disabilities receive the accommodations required for them to interview for a position on our team. Should you require accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a contractor of Boston Housing Authority, Compass also provides hiring preference to Section 3 residents. Section 3 Residency is defined as being an authorized resident of Boston Housing Authority or a “low-income resident” of the Boston Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex, Essex, Plymouth, Strafford (NH), and Rockingham (NH) Counties. For the purposes of Section 3, low-income is defined as 80% of the Area Median Income. To learn more information about Section 3 income eligibility, please refer to the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Website.