Part-Time or Full-Time
The position of Finance/Administrative Associate at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to an individual that wishes to gain practical experience in the nonprofit sector or philanthropy as part of a platform for a career in public service and social change. The job will provide the candidate intensive practice in nonprofit management – from clerical and bookkeeping functions, to contracting, office and website management, investment coordination and occasional events support – as well as bird’s-eye view of the social change sector in Los Angeles, with exposure to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of leaders.
The Durfee Foundation is a private family foundation that supports individuals and organizations in Los Angeles County, with a special emphasis on community development and nonprofit leadership. The Foundation has assets of approximately $30 million, and makes more than $2 million in grants annually.
The position of Finance/Administrative Associate reports to the Executive Director, and works day-to-day with the Program Manager. The ideal candidate for this job should be technologically proficient, detail-oriented, self-motivated and collaborative. The position is part-time (four days/32 hours per week) allowing the candidate to pursue other career development activities on the off-day, or full time (five days/40 hours per week). The job comes with excellent benefits.
The Durfee Foundation maintains a small office. We value collegiality, cooperation and flexibility. The Foundation will move to downtown Los Angeles in December 2018.
- Bookkeeping, including monitoring account balances, cash-flow projection, and accounts payable, under supervision of accountant
- Budget monitoring and spreadsheets
- Under direction from an independently contracted CPA, prepare documents for financial audits
- Implement occasional stock sales, and manage relationships with investment advisors
- Reconcile monthly financial statements
- Manage contract agreements
- Reimbursement processing
- Office management/general administrative support, including records management and storage
- Maintain computer systems, including email, network, website, database and back-up systems
- Take minutes at board, committee and grantee meetings and retreats
- Occasional back-up for events production as needed, in collaboration with Program Manager
- Working knowledge of office systems – phone, internet, computer
- Expert in QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong knowledge of Mac OSX, Dropbox, Google Drive and WordPress
- Proficient with budgets and financial management processes
- Good written and oral communications
- High-level administrative capacity
- Database management
- Attention to detail, initiative and follow-through
- Capacity to prioritize work and manage multiple projects
- Exercise initiative and good judgment
- College or advanced degree and/or comparable work experience
- General knowledge of/interest in the nonprofit sector
- Graphic design skills a plus
Salary & Benefits:
- $34,000 - $45,000 depending on experience and 4-5 days/week commitment
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403b retirement fund, with employee match after one year
- Performance review and annual salary increases
- Two weeks vacation for first two years
Application Due: October 19, 2018
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
What are your professional goals, and why? What do you love about Los Angeles?
Start Date: October/November 2018 Please, no phone calls.