Executive Director Position Announcement
The Youth Engagement Fund/Youth Engagement Action Fund is looking for an energetic, strategic thinker and communicator with proven leadership skills and a demonstrated commitment to a just and inclusive democracy to serve as its next Executive Director. If you are a results-oriented person with deep ties in philanthropy, a commitment to social justice, a passion for civic engagement, and outstanding interpersonal skills who excels at written and verbal communication, managing complex projects, and working independently, we would like to hear from you.
WHO WE ARE
Youth Engagement Fund (YEF), a 501 C (3) organization, is the largest network of donors dedicated to increasing civic participation among young people in the United States. We invest in every aspect of youth power-building – from leadership development and policymaking, to organizing grassroots and national issue and electoral campaigns through Youth Engagement Action Fund (YEAF) – in the belief that young people are key in the creation of a new social contract in the USA.
Young people have the power to determine the outcomes of today's advocacy and electoral campaigns. Young people of all races, including young people with inherited wealth, are seizing the opportunity and taking the responsibility to craft a legacy that is about enhancing equity and advancing democratic rights. Through an emphasis on issues of equity and historically disenfranchised and underrepresented communities, the Youth Engagement Fund invests in solutions to increase youth participation and sustain it for the long-term.
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
A typical day for you will include identifying prospective grantees, meeting face-to-face with donor committee members and prospective donors, sharing the YEF/YEAF story at programs and events, and providing supervision to staff to ensure the organization meets and exceeds its goals. As Executive Director of YEF/YEAF, you will:
- Recruit, train and onboard donor committee members
- Ensure donor committee development
- Hire, train and onboard staff as needed
- Directly supervise work of staff, communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and establishing program priorities
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with donor committee members and leaders in the philanthropic community to develop vision and strategic plans for YEF/YEAF, and implement the existing strategic plan 2018 – 2020
- Conduct research to facilitate solicitation of large gifts from a variety of sources, including individuals, private/family foundations, and corporations
- Prospect and develop donors, working with the donor committee to leverage their resources and networks to identify prospective donors
- Conduct electronic and face-to-face meetings to solicit and cultivate existing, new and prospective grantees
- Maintain and build a portfolio of equity and social justice-focused programs, initiatives, and services, and implement portfolio-level strategy, including making recommendations related to authorizing or declining grants
- Evaluate ongoing work of and build relationships with existing grantees
- Scope new possibilities, building relationships with prospective grantees, experts and activists in the field, peer donors, and others to advance grantmaking as well as other civic engagement and social justice efforts
- Work strategically to expand awareness about the organization
- Develop media messaging and communications materials, such as op-eds, press releases, reports, and blogs
- Catalyze and facilitate collaboratives, working groups and peer networks oriented toward the advancement of civic engagement and social justice goals
- Attend and participate in key social justice, civic engagement and philanthropy meetings and events.
- An understanding of donor research, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Proven success in asking for and closing gifts and building and maintaining long-term relationships with donors
- The ability to manage multiple and highly complex client and prospect relationships
- Presence and high comfort level in interactions with leaders in business and philanthropy
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, equity and civic engagement
- Demonstrated commitment to intentional and institutional efforts to engage youth in civic participation
- A commitment to leadership training and development opportunities for emerging leaders
- Experience working on political or issue campaigns or related social justice work in a non-profit setting highly desirable
- High standards of excellence and a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done
- Excellent judgment, tact and discretion
- Demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork with ability to work virtually across multiple time zones
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects, delivering on time, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- 2+ years of experience supervising staff, with ability to provide training and support staff development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with capacity to work quickly and effectively at developing persuasive proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and related materials
- Ability to conceptualize, administer, evaluate, and communicate strategic initiatives
- Ability to frame complex issues clearly and concisely for varied audiences
- Deep and broad networks in the sector
- An understanding of boards and foundation budgets
- Ability to regularly speak at sector-relevant events that add value to the YEF/YEAF brand
- Ability to participate in sector leadership roles, author content in sector-relevant periodicals and news sites, and be seen externally as an expert in youth engagement
- Experience working in philanthropy strongly preferred
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above
- Computer savvy with knowledge of donor databases such as SalesForce or Ready Talk
- A bachelor’s degree.
- The annual salary for the position of Executive Director is $110,000. YEF/YEAF offers a robust benefits package.
- The location of this position is flexible, with a preference for Washington, DC.
- The Youth Engagement Fund/Youth Engagement Action Fund to seeks to build the voice and build the leadership of young people representing the full spectrum of racial and ethnic groups, national origins, cultures, physical abilities, gender identities, faiths, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Please send cover letter, resumes and any inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for resume submission is August 31, 2018. Your cover letter must explain why you are an excellent fit for this position, salary requirements, and if you are available on these dates:
- First round interviews for this position will be conducted beginning September 6, 2018 in Washington, DC, or virtually.
- Second round interviews will be conducted the week of September 17, 2018 in Washington, DC.
- The target date for onboarding is October 7, 2018