Who We Are:
The Virginia Hospital Center Medical Brigade is a Northern Virginia volunteer-led organization founded in 1999 after Hurricane Mitch devastated much of Central America, particularly Honduras. We collaborate with organizational and governmental partners in Honduras to provide sustainable community development interventions that improve health outcomes in Honduran communities. The Brigade organizes and executes a number of medical mission trips to Honduras each year to provide life-changing surgeries, reduce the impact of preventable diseases through clean water projects and sanitation system development, enhance preventive health measures and the number healthcare services available to the community by training Honduran community health workers and medical professionals.
The Brigade seeks its first-ever Executive Director to provide vision, energy, and leadership in fulfilling the mission of the organization, which is to improve the health of communities in Honduras. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization and building the sustainable systems necessary to ensure the organization achieves annual goals, including raising and managing an annual budget of approximately $300,000. This position is both strategic and tactical, reporting directly to the Board of Directors and working closely with them to develop all programmatic and operational plans and systems.
Requirements and Attributes of Successful Candidates:
The ideal candidate is eager to embrace the professional opportunity of being the Brigade’s first Executive Director and desires to collaborate with highly motivated and capable volunteers that have effectively led the organization over the past 20 years. This individual will strive to manage and develop systems that are working well and suggest innovative ideas that will help the Brigade sustain and grow its impact. The successful candidate is excited to deepen domestic and international partnerships and is knowledgeable about the intricacies of international development and global health.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Lead the VHC Medical Brigade in a manner that supports its mission and vision
- Effectively communicate with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors and provide support for all Board and operational committees
- Ensure ongoing financial success and programmatic excellence both domestically and in Honduras
- Strengthen the current administrative, fundraising, and programmatic delivery systems
- Manage any and all staff and consultants domestically and in Honduras
FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE AND SUSTAINABILITY
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the Brigade and developing the resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the Brigade over time
- Develop and submit a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements to the Board, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the Brigade
- Operate within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
- Manage and strengthen all current Brigade partnership through regular communication, stewardship, and strategic leadership
- Develop and engage with new partners, domestically and in Honduras, with the intent to increase the impact of the work of the Brigade that espouses best practices in global health and international development
FUNDRAISING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Manage and execute the organization’s annual development and communications plan to achieve annual revenue goals and to generate funding to support the programmatic operations of the Brigade
- Deepen and refine all aspects of the Brigade’s communications – from its online presence to all other external communications – to strengthen the Brigade’s brand and identity
- Partner with the Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individuals and organizations for major giving, corporate sponsorships, and in-kind gifts
- Think creatively about donor stewardship while executing the stewardship plan, updating it annually in new and meaningful ways to connect donors and foster a sense of community
- Build the Brigade’s grant portfolio through prospecting, writing and submitting applications to mission-aligned funders
Skills and Requirements to Foster Success
Competitive candidates will have their bachelor’s and/or master’s degree (Public Administration, Public Health, Non-Profit Management, Business Administration, etc.) and at least 3-5 years of non-profit management and/or business leadership experience. Candidates will have managed leadership committees and boards. Successful candidates will have worked and/or studied abroad, such as Peace Corps service, and be versed in global health, international development best practices, and coordinating international teams, with a focus on Central America and Honduras. The ideal candidate will be able to travel 2-4 times to Honduras annually. Candidates who are fluent in Spanish, while not a requirement, will be poised to communicate with partners and staff with greater ease and understanding. The leading candidate must be able to help develop and implement successful strategic plans and have been successful at achieving strategic fundraising and programmatic goals. Strong candidates will have an aptitude for verbal and written communication, public presentation, and relationship development.
Other Essential Competencies:
- Is decisive, able to reach decisions in a timely manner and act appropriately
- Follows through on commitments, obligations, and needs according to the VHC Medical Brigade’s mission
- Deals with staff and board honestly and fairly and maintains open communications
- Plans and organizes time effectively and efficiently
- Uses common sense and good judgment in business transactions
- Represents the Brigade in a positive and professional manner
- Accepts feedback and constructive criticism appropriately and responds with thoughtful action
- Is entrepreneurial, a self-starter who can thrive with minimal direction
Compensation and Benefits:
- Full-time, exempt, professional management position
- Salary range $70 - $80K
- Individual health insurance
- Federal holidays and additional paid time off
- Work remotely
Email the following components to [email protected]brigade.org:
- Cover letter with salary range and potential start date
- Resume or CV
- An example of a written donor communication authored by the candidate like a thank you letter or a follow-up email after a donor meeting
- An example of another strategic communication to a volunteer or board member authored by the candidate like an example of a program or campaign report that the candidate has constructed to answer a question, give strategic advice or solve a problem
No calls will be accepted, and incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are eligible for this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position.
The VHC Medical Brigade provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with