Seeking: Nonprofit Professional Who Is Ready to Lead
Next City is seeking an executive director to lead an experienced team in a sustainable pursuit of journalism and events making an impact in cities across the world.
The executive director manages a team in Next City’s Philadelphia office, and is charged with setting goals and steering the nonprofit with regard to fund development, membership development, events, brand visibility, and media partnerships. The executive director is responsible for developing a cross-platform strategy that leverages journalism to support events and membership growth. This is not an editorial job, but candidates need an understanding of the media landscape in America and its ethics, demands and challenges.
Next City has produced excellent cities-focused journalism for 15 years, giving millions of readers inspiration and ideas connected to the work they’re doing as urban planners, architects, artists, elected officials, entrepreneurs, technologists, community organizers, and academics. In addition to daily journalism, Next City has an established, mission-driven annual event: The Vanguard conference brings together the best and brightest rising urban leaders. Next City also has a diverse and active board committed to supporting the organizational mission.
- 10 years in senior management roles that include determining and executing organizational strategy, overseeing multiple reports with varying experience levels
- Experience leading successful fundraising efforts
- Adept at fiscal management and strategy-driven budgeting
- Effective communicator/Comfortable being face and voice of Next City, and advocating for positive change in cities (economic, social, and environmental equity specifically), and motivating Next City followers to be part of that change
- Understanding of challenges that today’s cities are facing and practices for creating inclusive and equitable cities
- Commitment to including equity and diversity in content and narrative development
- Desire to connect with emerging and established urban leaders and thinkers
- Team player and experience with building and supporting teams
Please send cover letter/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put Executive Director Search in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share: 1) why you believe solutions-oriented journalism makes a difference in cities today; 2) a successful fundraising effort you’ve led; and 3) one way, in your first year on the job, you’d seek to make an impact on cities through Next City’s journalism or events.
Next City’s office is located in Philadelphia, but for the right candidate there’s a possibility of remote work at least part of the time. You’ll have to travel occasionally, domestically and internationally (around 10-15 percent of the time).
Next City is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.