Lynwood Partners Educational Foundation
Los Angeles, CA
The Lynwood Partners Educational Foundation (LPEF) is seeking its first Executive Director. The Foundation was established in 2015 to provide the Lynwood Unified School District (LUSD) with state-of-the-art fundraising programs and services based on a college/university model of institutional advancement. LUSD is K-12 public school district located in southeast Los Angeles that provides education and enrichment programs for nearly 15,000 students at 19 schools—including 12 elementary schools, three middle schools, three high schools, and one adult school—with an annual budget of almost $175 million. The creation of the Foundation is part of a five-year turnaround effort that began in 2011 led by an outstanding new Superintendent and his leadership team. Today, LUSD is one of the most improved K-12 unified school districts of its size in Los Angeles County and the State of California, despite serving one of the lowest socioeconomic communities in the state.
This is a unique and distinctive professional opportunity for an outstanding individual to co-create and shape a new education philanthropy.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Foundation including strategy and planning, as well as identifying, pursuing, and renewing all forms of financial, in-kind, and other support. The Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the Foundation’s Board of Directors, reports to the Superintendent, and is a member Superintendent’s cabinet, the District’s senior leadership team. The Executive Director works closely with Foundation board members, businesses and corporations, elected and civic leaders, donors, parents, alumni, school district personnel, and school board Trustees.
The ideal candidate will have at least five years of fundraising and/or nonprofit management experience and share a commitment to strengthening public schools, advancing educational and social equity, and expanding opportunities for youth. This high profile position requires the ability to work with multiple, diverse constituencies in order to build consensus and cultivate goodwill for the District. The successful applicant will be an innovative and creative thinker, a self-starter, and possess excellent oral and written communication skills. A bachelor’s degree is required and a master’s is preferred.
- Establishes and cultivates relationships with existing and prospective financial and in-kind supporters, including foundations, individuals and families, large corporations and small businesses, government agencies, and community leaders
- Educates and engages the board of directors, individually and collectively, in the governance of the Foundation and resource development
- Builds and maintains strong, working relationships with the District and the City of Lynwood
- Develops a sound knowledge and understanding of K-12 and adult education, the District, and its programs, operations, strategies, and priorities
- Develops annual work plans and budgets
- Manages Foundation staff and volunteers
- Drives external communication of the Foundation’s goals and accomplishments
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
A bachelor’s degree is required and a master’s is preferred. The successful applicant will have at least five years of fundraising and/or nonprofit management experience.
- Working in the nonprofit, corporate, or government sector with multiple and diverse constituencies
- Working with a mission-driven organization in a leadership capacity
- Reporting to and/or working closely with a volunteer board of directors with a sound understanding of, and an appreciation for, the role of a board
- Developing a strategic plan, setting long-term goals, and managing annual work plans
- Leveraging the efforts of volunteers on behalf of a mission
- Demonstrating organizational return on investment through the use of analytical tools and methods
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the following key competencies in prior roles and be able to provide tangible examples of past achievements:
Resource Development – Expanding revenues by identifying and capturing new sources of support, while continuing to nurture the engagement and participation of longstanding funders;
Organizational Leadership – Creating and executing strategic plans, setting clear milestones and performance expectations, and making adjustments to respond to internal and external changes. Serving as a spokesperson, communicating an organization’s vision and achievements to multiple constituencies;
Management & Teamwork – The ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team to ensure tasks are completed on time and on budget;
Collaboration – Building credibility in the community as an effective partner who maintains and enhances productive relationships with multiple and diverse constituencies;
- Integrity is present in all actions and interactions
- Passion, idealism, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Commitment to the goals and objectives of the Foundation and to the belief that the Foundation can make a powerful and positive impact on the community
- A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Leads by influence and example rather than authority
- Comfortable engaging a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Project management skills
Total compensation for this position is $90,000 to $125,000 commensurate with education and experience.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages a diverse pool of applicants. It prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to: [email protected]
To learn more about the Foundation and the District, please visit:
Lynwood Partners Educational Foundation www.lynwoodedfoundation.org
Lynwood Unified School District http://www.lynwood.k12.ca.us/