Position: Executive Director
Classification: Full-time, exempt; eligible for benefits after 30 days
Reports to: Board of Directors
Salary range: $70K-$90K based on experience
A leader in the cultural life of Hawaiʻi Island, the Kahilu Theatre Foundation is a 40-year old performing arts center with a 480-seat theatre, a black box performance space and two art galleries. Kahilu seeks an Executive Director (ED) who, with the Board of Directors and Artistic Director, will lead the organization through the challenges of the current pandemic to re-opening and celebration of our 40th anniversary in 2021.
Position summary and essential duties and responsibilities
Kahilu Theatre seeks a highly motivated individual for the position of ED. The ED is jointly responsible with the Artistic Director (AD) for planning, organizing, motivating, directing and managing the Kahilu Theatre to bring alive the Theatre’s mission: “Making a place where community, creativity and inspiration thrive.”
The ED is a strategic thinker who is responsible for general operational, administrative, and financial oversight of the organization.
- develops and manages organizational policies in such key areas as operations, fundraising, finance, and budgeting.
- manages all fiscal operations of the organization.
- oversees a robust development program to ensure success in annual fundraising efforts and a comprehensive capital campaign.
- collaborates and works closely with the AD, and together they engage the staff and volunteers to meet the organization’s goals.
- pursues opportunities to provide greater access for underserved and under-represented groups.
- implements the current Strategic Plan and Annual Plan and works with the Board to review and update as needed.
- with the AD, promotes partnerships, working relationships, and collaborations with businesses, community organizations, governmental agencies, educational institutions, and other members of the community.
- develops and maintains positive relationships with strategic partners, other arts organizations, public agencies, and the media.
- with the AD, maintains strong community visibility and engagement.
- supports the Board to optimize Kahilu Theatre’s mission, vision, strategy, resources and leadership
Qualified applicants will have strong written and oral communication, financial, marketing, and computer skills, along with a strong background in arts leadership and administration.
The ED will be responsible for representing Kahilu Theatre to various civic activities, business, and cultural organizations.
Competitive candidates will have at least four years of professional experience managing multiple budgets and projects. Candidates must be skilled writers with marketing savvy, possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, be self-motivated, have strong follow-through, and possess outstanding interpersonal skills. They must also have experience working with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and QuickBooks. The ideal person for this position thrives in a collaborative environment and is a self-starter who is able to work both independently and collaboratively.
Other qualifications include
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of academic and professional experience.
- Administrative or management experience in theatre or other not-for-profit arts organizations
- Demonstrated experience with online fundraising and proven ease with the online environment, including cloud-based tools, in general.
- Exceptional project management skills and experience
- Demonstrated leadership and success in managing administrative, financial, and operational functions in a non-profit arts organization, preferably a performing arts organization.
- Ability to problem-solve and negotiate with diplomacy and tact
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills
- Desire to serve as an ardent and loyal advocate of Kahilu Theatre
- Dedication to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion as well as awareness of the unique and complex cultural history of Hawaiʻi.
- Familiarity with pandemic-era challenges and adaptive strategies in not-for-profit arts organizations, preferably in the performing arts
Kahilu Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Through our producing, presenting and educational programs, we strive to reflect and enrich the diversity of our island home.
The application deadline is October 16, 2020 or until the position is filled. The projected hiring date is December 1 with a start date of January 1, 2021. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a résumé. A complete job description is available on request. Kahilu Theatre will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls. Email submissions only. Send only PDF attachments, no web links, to: [email protected] with “Executive Director” in the subject line. Only complete submissions will be considered.