Camber Outdoors is the hub for advancing career opportunities, leadership and entrepreneurship to inspire an outdoors, truly for everyone. Envisioning a future of “Everyone’s Outdoors”, it is a national organization dedicated to achieving equity for all women and underrepresented communities in the workplace of the active- outdoors industries, through innovative and thought-leading programs and initiatives. With partner companies, individual members, and supporters, Camber Outdoors strives to accelerate and achieve equity for all in the outdoors—from senior industry leadership to outdoor recreation participants–from the boardroom to the backcountry.
Founded in 1996 as the Outdoor Industries Women’s Coalition (OIWC), Camber Outdoors has elevated the active-outdoor industries as an employer of choice for the diversity of people who have a passion for the outdoors. Progress happens through Camber’s innovative and thought-leading programming and initiatives including:
- The CEO Outdoor Equity Pledge with +50 CEO signatories and the opportunity to build programs to support CEOs in their diversity, equity and inclusion efforts within their business organizations
- Monthly leadership webinars moderated by industry leaders, attracting 100+ participants
- 25-30 Camber Exchanges each year across the US and Canada. In partnership with corporate members, these include forums for networking and features speakers on topics related to DEI and leadership development
- An annual 10-month cross-industry, cross-company Professional Mentoring program pairing 25+ female mentees with female leaders in the industry
- An annual 10-week mentoring program supporting 7+ entrepreneurs that culminates in an event called Pitchfest at Summer Outdoor Retailer
- Thought Leader Keynote events (1-2 annually) that attracts +500 attendees at Outdoor Retailer
Camber Outdoors’ 200+ corporate partners are leading companies that recognize the active-outdoor industries will drive greater innovation and solve bigger problems when leadership teams reflect the diversity of current and future participants. The organization’s 7,000-plus individual members and online community of 30,000 share a love of being outside and active, a passion for protecting the places where they play, and a belief that diversity of leadership and equitable and inclusive workplaces are critical to growth and sustainability. Camber Outdoors has a talented, eight-member professional staff that oversees an operating budget of $1.1 million. The organization is guided by 12 board members comprised of business CEOs and community leaders.
The incoming Executive Director will help Camber become “a living brand” that works among and positively influences the best and the brightest outdoor brands in the world. An authentic, trusted leader who uses superior communication skills to build sustainable, substantive relationships with the community can move the agenda forward through convenings, collaboration and thought leadership in areas that Camber’s constituencies value. This is an opportunity for an energetic, self- aware leader to help customer-facing organizations evolve through deeper understanding and commitment to Camber’s mission and programs that promote real change through hiring and workplace practices, as well as a deep commitment to racial, social and gender equity in all workplaces and open spaces.
Learn more about Camber Outdoors at https://camberoutdoors.org!
Camber Outdoors seeks an inspirational leader who is both a visionary and skilled in fundraising, change management, organizational development, communication, program development and implementation, and community mobilization. The new Executive Director will be deeply committed and authentically connected to the mission of Camber Outdoors. She or he will bring thoughtful partnership to the outdoors industry, strategic and operational leadership, management acumen and experience in diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and culture change to the role. The new Executive Director will work closely with the Board, staff, and key stakeholders to advance the organization’s mission, provide strategic leadership, and ensure the development and delivery of innovative member programs. The Executive Director will lead the organization in knowing its members well, shaping cutting-edge programming, guiding its communications, serving as its compelling spokesperson and facilitating culture change that enhances and drives diversity, equity and inclusivity within the outdoor industry. A persuasive oral and written communication style, rooted in keen interpersonal sensitivity and high emotional intelligence will serve the organization well.
Collaborating with a wide variety of individuals and organizations while managing a talented staff will not only be critical to the new Executive Director’s success, but also bring joy for the right person in realizing the organization’s values and aspirations throughout the outdoor industry.
Specifically, the Executive Director will be responsible for:
- Leading a talented team by providing guidance, coaching and mentoring that ensures that Camber Outdoors operates in a connected, networked fashion, and focusing on the personal and professional growth of the team
- Developing trust-based, authentic, productive relationships with Camber Outdoors members and key partners
- Anticipating – and responding to – members’ needs (and the field at large); identifying opportunities and developing programs, tools and initiatives that promote members’ development and success and enhance diversity within the outdoors industry
- Identifying, developing and stewarding collaborative relationships with other organizations that could be important partners to amplify the mission of Camber Outdoors
- Developing and executing strategies and initiatives to advance Camber Outdoors convening and community catalyst role, including dialogues, events and presentations to key audiences; developing marketing communications strategies to drive member engagement
- Ensuring Camber Outdoors fiscal health is sustainable and robust – focusing on the business model and fundraising
- Working with the Camber Outdoors team to evolve and adapt the business model, creating and monitoring success metrics for the strategic framework
- Serving as an ambassador and spokesperson for the organization which includes speaking in front of large audiences and interacting with the media
Profile of the Successful Candidate
Camber Outdoors seeks a leader who is an influencer, deeply committed to excellent, contemporary management practices -- especially diversity, equity and inclusion – both inside the organization and on behalf of its mission. The new leader will be a professional with superb communications and presentation skills, along with an effective, collaborative interpersonal manner that fosters an ability to build trust. She or he will be a thoughtful and influential communicator who can contribute creative, dynamic, and forward-thinking strategy and execution to lead Camber Outdoors efforts in achieving the vision of equity in the outdoors for all. The new Executive Director will be savvy and transparent in nurturing an organization while keeping its members and community as its central focus.
More specifically, Camber Outdoors seeks a professional who has:
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for the mission of Camber Outdoors, combined with a personal vision of its potential and promise
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and sensitively with a broad range of diverse groups as evidenced by excellent listening and communication skills, balanced and reasoned approaches to problems, ability to inspire trust and confidence, and flexibility and openness to differing points of view
- Deep and authentic commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, as evidenced by personal and professional disposition and track record
- Experience driving organizational culture change
- Experience interacting and working closely with senior leadership (ideally across outdoor businesses)
- Experience effectively working with and building relationships with activists and various affinity groups
- An inclusive, consensus-building, transparent leadership style both in and out of the public spotlight that is grounded in deep mutual respect, trust, flexibility, clear communication, humor and joy
- Exceptional management skills, with an understanding of the difference between leadership and management
- Well-developed business acumen that balances mission needs with revenue goals
- The ability to think creatively, to bring people together and to make important connections
- Demonstrated financial management acumen and strong analytical skills
- Excellent judgment and negotiation skills, with an eye toward translating strategy into relationships and results
- A willingness to iterate a strategy and approach, with the ability to recognize the need to course-correct as necessary
In addition, the successful candidate will likely have:
- Ten or more years of experience and a demonstrated track record of effectively leading organizations
- Prior experience in nonprofits, either in a senior leadership role or as a board member
- Prior experience in the private sector in a senior leadership role
- A passion for the outdoors
All applications are held in strict confidence. Please submit your credentials and a letter of interest through our private applicant portal to The 360 Group at https://the360group.us/portal/.
Applications should be directed to the attention of Maureen Capitolo, Principal. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Earlier applicants may receive priority consideration. To be considered, The 360 Group encourages all interested candidates to submit their applications promptly, via the confidential applicant portal linked above.
At The 360 Group, we know that a richly diverse mix of professionals makes organizations more effective. Using that principle as our “North Star,” we make diversity a hallmark of our firm, and all of our search engagements.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with