About Rainforest Action Network
For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and self-directed person to support our Executive Director, Leadership Team, the Board of Directors, and overall organizational function. The ability to interact with staff at all levels—while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient—is essential. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial. The ideal candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Attentiveness to detail and strong project and time management abilities are important. This person should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability and willingness to represent RAN and its mission. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Support the Executive Director
- Plan and coordinate the ED's extremely active calendar of appointments in alignment with established priorities, serving as both "gatekeeper" and "gateway" to create win-win situations for direct access to the ED's time and office;
- Manage an extremely active inbox in collaboration with the ED, synthesize content, draft or answer correspondence when appropriate, and ensure timely follow up;
- Complete expense reports and other administrative responsibilities as needed to support the overall success of the Executive team;
- Manage end-to-end travel processes, including arranging strategic meetings, providing appropriate briefings, setting itineraries, and managing expenses;
- Attend meetings when requested to collect agenda items, take notes, and produce minutes, as needed;
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, discreetly with kindness and respect, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures;
- Contribute to special projects as requested and assist in various aspects of RAN’s work as requested by the ED with precision and the utmost respect for confidentiality.
- Maintain broad up-to-date knowledge of RAN’s work and progress across campaigns, provide real time support as needed while ED is traveling, in meetings, or for time-sensitive updates and communications;
- Collaborate with the Development and Communications teams to ensure seamless coordination of: Executive fundraising efforts, including drafting outreach and brief materials, identifying opportunities for cultivation, supporting special events, public speaking events, and other responsibilities that contribute to RAN’s overall success.
Support the Board of Directors
- Coordinate Board and Committees meetings: prepare draft agendas, reports and minutes;
- Maintain, review, and update as needed RAN’s governance records and assist the Board and ED to ensure adherence to these policies;
- Assist the Board Chair as needed, including admin support, content drafting, and logistical help with Board gatherings;
- Provide communications support between Board and staff, identify key updates to share with the Board, maintain timely responses to Board requests and inquiries;
- Project manage Board recruitment efforts, including Executive and Board outreach support, coordinating meetings, and vetting Board prospects;
- Assist with Board Committee projects;
- Coordinate Board member orientation and prepare and provide materials as needed.
Support the Leadership Team and Organization Broadly
- Scheduling support for the Deputy Executive Director;
- Project management and administrative support of initiatives led by the executive team, including racial justice;
- Coordinate Leadership Team meeting agendas, retreats, and priorities;
- Maintain and create plans and timelines for organizational processes such as workplanning and annual budget creation;
- Contribute to and cultivate a culture of direct feedback, equitable and transparent practices, and collaborative work-spaces while prioritizing integrity, collectivity, and racial justice;
Required Skills and Experience
- 3 years direct experience assisting a high-level executive, ideally in a fast-paced non-profit environment;
- Impeccable administrative skills – drafting correspondence, managing email, scheduling, record keeping, etc.;
- Reliable and efficient follow-through and task management;
- Highly organized, able to plan, prioritize and multi-task;
- Strong writing skills that allow for drafting of materials tailored to a wide range of audiences;
- Excellent judgement, ability to adhere to confidentiality as needed, and strong emotional intelligence to facilitate relationship building with staff, senior management, the Board, RAN supporters, and allies.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Commitment to Racial Justice
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a full-time position based in our San Francisco, CA office. Target salary range is mid to high 60k range with the final offer being based on candidate’s overall experience and qualifications. RAN offers excellent benefits, which include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer-funded HSA, vision & dental insurance, pro-rated 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match after first 6 months. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3-month fully-paid sabbatical.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter via the link below: