Throughout 2015, EPIP DC has been focusing on supporting members improve their knowledge and skills on career advancement with sessions from prominent speakers and skill-based workshops. Earlier this month, we added networking to the cadre of offerings. Mike Kohn, senior HR client partner at George Washington University, joined us for a breakfast club session on tips and reflections on career growth. One of Mike’s exercises you can do today. He encouraged us to consider six questions as we set career goals and jot down notes on the ones that resonated most with us:
- What am I passionate about? What do I want to do more of?
- What do I need to get there?
- What skills am I lacking? What skills should be developed?
- What skills do I already have that I can leverage in the process?
- What organizations are good fits for my interests?
- Who should I build relationships that would be mutually beneficial?
He then asked us to each write a two-sentence elevator speech that we can refine over time. We used the reflections from the six questions and our elevator speech as talking points for our speed mentoring sessions with our fellow EPIP members in the room and many left with coffee dates ready to dive in deeper!
In addition to finding mentors who are further advanced in their careers, we encourage you to tap into the knowledge and passions you all have with each other. EPIP DC had hundreds of different professionals and students attend our events every year. Grab lunch, make connections, share job openings and get feedback on things you’re struggling with at work.
A few resources as you work through these questions: