Energy Finance Campaigner
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a passionate and hard-working Campaigner to join our Climate and Energy Program. In this position you will use your writing skills and strategic smarts, high level of professionalism, mastery of project management, and negotiating savvy. The ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people whether inside RAN or in corporate meeting rooms or on street protests. You will spend most of your time planning and implementing strategies to get insurance companies and banks to stop supporting fossil fuels. You must be able to travel domestically on a regular basis and, occasionally, internationally.
This position is full-time, with a competitive salary and excellent benefits and reports directly to one of RAN’s Climate and Energy Program Senior Campaigners. This position is based in the US, preferably in RAN’s San Francisco office.
Specific duties may include:
- Assist in designing and implementing a campaign to get US insurance companies to stop insuring and investing in fossil fuels, in particular tar sands and coal;
- Develop a solid knowledge of the role of insurance companies in funding climate change, as well as the political, economic and human rights issues that relate to RAN’s climate and energy work;
- Assist in implementing RAN’s ongoing work to get banks to stop financing coal;
- Conduct, direct or support research to be used for crafting campaign strategy and activities;
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential and established allied groups
- Engage with corporate and government campaign targets;
- Act as a spokesperson for RAN in the media and at public events, and represent RAN in activist coalitions;
- In conjunction with the Communications and Digital teams, write and review compelling communications materials, including press releases, supporter emails and social media content;
- Work with other Climate & Energy team members to research, write and produce reports and briefing sheets;
- Support other aspects of RAN’s work (e.g. helping during major fundraising events, grassroots trainings, direct actions, or campaigns priorities as requested by supervisor);
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
Experience and skills required:
- Preferably at least three years experience with justice-related or environmental campaigning, ideally with a financial sector focus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal, time management and project management skills,
- Ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
- Proven ability to design and implement corporate/finance campaign strategies;
- Passionate commitment to climate justice, human and Indigenous rights;
- Understanding of the science and politics of climate protection;
- Understanding of how financial institutions, in particular insurance companies and banks, impact climate change;
- Skills, or able to demonstrate aptitude to develop skills and/or expertise, in the following key areas: use of media and social media; financial analysis; collaboration with activist and grassroots allies;
- Understanding of non-violent direct action as both a strategy and a tactic;
- Solid computer skills (MS Office-literate);
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
EQUITY AND RACIAL JUSTICE
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
Target salary range is intended to be between $51,000 and $57,000 with the final salary determination being based on candidate experience, overall qualifications and geographic location.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff becomes eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Deadline to apply is July 20th, 2018.
Please apply directly with the link below:
Supervisor: Jason Opeña Disterhoft
Status: Full-Time benefited
Location: San Francisco preferred