Youth Radio, an award-winning, youth-driven producer of innovative media, technology and training resources, seeks an experienced fundraiser and writer to join our marketing and communications team as the Donor Communications Manager. Our mission is to secure education and employment opportunities for youth whose voices are missing from the mainstream media landscape by launching them onto career and education pathways with a strong foundation of hands-on training in digital media and technology, complemented by a full array of wrap-around services to support their success.
Reporting to the department director, the Donor Communications Manager contributes to and implements the development-specific communication strategy with the goal of planning and creating communications that educate, engage, cultivate and inspire philanthropic support for and engagement with Youth Radio.
The Manager’s primary responsibilities are to propose, create and execute new communications for internal and external audiences; to evaluate, track, and measure results of communications activities across the department; to provide day-to-day management of the communications calendar; and to drive cross-departmental collaboration on the timing of communications to ensure well-timed engagement with key audiences.
Specifically, the Manager will research, propose, manage and write regular and special communications for donors, alumni and prospects that deliver clear and compelling messages about the opportunities for and impact of philanthropic support at Youth Radio. These communications will include content that can be used online and in print, in cases for support, in customized communications, as talking points, in broader communications and marketing efforts in support of development campaigns. The Manager will also review and approve outward-facing messaging and communications written by others.
The Manager will also be responsible for analytics and assessment for development communications, working with the Director to gather results and to communicate them broadly in support of the department's strategic goals.
The Manager will serve as the primary point person for the communications calendar, resolving conflicts and proposing alternate solutions in collaboration with the Director. The Manager will also be the primary interface for event communications, working collaboratively to align goals and messaging; and will play a key role in providing colleagues with appropriate content to support the Youth Radio’s fundraising campaigns.
The Manager must be an excellent communicator, researcher and problem-solver with the versatility and judgment to draft clear and consistent messages for a variety of audiences. Serving as a resource for Development, the Manager will collaborate in creating communications plans; and assist colleagues in identifying how and when to communicate for best results. The Manager must be a strong collaborator and storyteller with the ability to translate complex concepts and metrics into persuasive communications.
A bridge between the Development and Communications departments, the Manager will work collaboratively with members throughout the organization to share content across platforms, demonstrating the case for supporting Youth Radio in alignment with strategic goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive messaging, content and execution of assigned development communications projects, including producing print mailers and e-communications for donors highlighting impactful stories, accolades and gifts to Youth Radio;
- Support of all departments’ content and program strategies, regularly researching and writing stories that highlight the impact of individual and institutional giving at Youth Radio.
- Develop and maintain stakeholder communications via social media and newsletters, creating promotional assets as necessary;
- Produce video projects as assigned
- Assist in creation of messaging guidelines
- Create, review, and approve content for public-facing events, e-communications and other purposes.
- Own day-to-day management of development communications plan and calendar, identifying partners and processes that support collaboration; training others in use of the calendar, proactively identifying potential scheduling conflicts and proposed solutions.
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing Communications, employ best practices to ensure that print and digital communications to alumni, donor and prospect audiences are optimally timed to drive both engagement and action.
- Regularly monitor metrics and analytics to evaluate the effectiveness of scheduled communications, identify optimal timing and improve engagement.
- Create presentations to report out on key metrics. Support other analytics-related projects as assigned.
- Research, propose and create new communications, templates and processes to support organization-wide comprehensive campaigns, as assigned by the Director.
- Research best practices in development communications; propose new products and delivery methods; and identify compelling stories and visuals to support the strategic goals of development, fundraising and Youth Radio.
- Assist development partners with simple design projects, using design software and existing templates.
- Assist with site visits and other fundraising activities as requested.
- Other responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or related field.
- 5+ years of professional experience in communications, with specific experience producing a variety of print and online communications for multiple audiences.
- Experience in non-profit or higher-education development and philanthropic communications preferred.
- Proven ability to manage strategic communications to external stakeholders using best practices in social media and email platforms.
- Exceptional writing and editing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to quickly find the heart of a story and its supporting facts.
- Must be a creative thinker with the ability to use words and visuals to motivate and excite audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and deliver multiple projects for multiple purposes on schedule with attention to consistency of overall messaging and design.
- Meticulous attention to detail while also delivering on the big picture. Exceptional organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience in tracking and reporting on key metrics and campaign results with a passion for data-driven decision making.
- Critical thinker and self-starter with strong interviewing and information-gathering skills.
- Collaborative relationship-builder and problem-solver that enjoys working on teams and with subject matter experts.
- Willingness to learn new skills and applications and implement new ideas.
- Passion for working in a diverse, multi-cultural environment and for the mission of Youth Radio.
- High level of energy and initiative, along with a sense of humor.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Graphic design experience in Photoshop in Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This position includes a comprehensive health, benefits and vacation package with a salary commensurate with experience.
- Cover Letter
- Resume and 2-3 writing samples
- Recent salary history
Please send cover letter, resume and recent salary history to [email protected] Please put “Donor Communications Manager” in subject line. No calls please. Youth Radio is committed to maintaining a diverse, multi-cultural working environment. Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.