Founded in 1999, BUILD uses entrepreneurship-based, experiential learning to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As they journey through high school, BUILD provides students with support in navigating the college application process and the opportunity to explore college and career options, while expanding their businesses or opting into community internships.
BUILD currently serves high school students at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area; Washington, DC; Boston, MA; and New York City.
BUILD is made up of a diverse, results driven and passionate team who believe in the potential of every student and the power of entrepreneurship-based, experiential learning to transform the education landscape. We work in a collaborative environment where perseverance, flexibility, cross-cultural understanding and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. For more information, please visit www.build.org.
Reporting directly to the Bay Area/LA Regional Executive Director (RED), the Bay Area/LA Director of Philanthropy (BADP) will be responsible for leading, designing, and implementing BUILD Bay Area/LA’s annual and long-range strategy for securing gifts from a variety of sources, including foundations, corporations, and individuals. The BADP will oversee the Development Team and drive the region’s annual goal of $2.0M.
The BADP position requires a high-level of drive and passion for our work, and the ability to operate in a high-energy, entrepreneurial environment where innovation and creativity are valued and expected.
- Raise the BUILD Bay Area/LA’s annual revenue goal of $2.0M (with a personal portfolio of $500k) in collaboration with the Development Team and Regional Executive Director.
- Complete strategic planning for comprehensive fundraising program with annual and long-term fundraising objectives covering all aspects of development, including annual giving, in-kind donations, major gifts, grants, and events.
- Serve as a member of BUILD Bay Area/LA’s senior management team to help guide the overall strategic direction of the Bay Area/LA region.
- Manage and set high expectations for the Development Team, which includes a Director of Strategic Partnerships, Community Engagement Manager, and Grants Associate/Development Manager (TBD).
- Strategically leverage the time of the Bay Area/LA RED and other senior leaders to support aggressive fundraising targets, including developing the capacity of the Local Advisory Board to execute the development goals.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of high-level major gift and foundation prospects; and assist in the focus, preparation, execution and follow–up for all donor meetings.
- Work closely with the RED and Director of Strategic Partnerships to support the growth and engagement of the Local Advisory Board and Associate Board.
- Oversee planning and execution of cultivation and stewardship activities and events with support from Development Team.
- Support Bay Area fundraising for the annual National Gala including sponsorship, ticket sales, and in-kind donations.
- Manage and track donor cultivation activities in the Raisers Edge database and deliver reports and analysis for the RED, Development Team, and Local Advisory Board.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least 3-5 years of related experience with demonstrated success in cultivating, soliciting and closing gifts from a variety of constituents.
- Passion and commitment to youth, education, and social justice.
- Prior experience designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for all funding streams including individuals, corporations, foundations, events and annual giving.
- Strong familiarity with the philanthropic – and broader – donor community in the Bay Area.
- A high level of professionalism, compassion, creativity, and integrity coupled with an ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and operating with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Raisers Edge preferred.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
- Building Collaborative Relationships: Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Perseverance: Self-motivated and motivates others to relentlessly pursue the organization’s goals, strategies, and mission.
- Results Oriented: Achieve a desired goal by planning and working towards it proactively.
- Influence: Effectively solicit and gain support for ideas, proposals and projects, and negotiate win-win solutions through shared benefits and goals.
- Entrepreneurial Thinking: Demonstrate comfort with risk- and initiative-taking to achieve unique and aggressive goals that supports and incorporates BUILD’s mission and values.
- Status: Full Time/Exempt
- Location: Redwood City or Oakland, CA
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) plan. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for generous paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, a flexible work environment, and performance bonuses.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume here:https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=bu522&fs=1.0em. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.